Author Topic: AutoLISP Editor in 2024  (Read 2998 times)

keithsCADservices

• Newt
AutoLISP Editor in 2024
« on: February 25, 2024, 01:09:32 PM »
I'm subscribing monthly to AutoCAD Full because I basically need the full functionality of VLIDE. I really don't like Visual Studio Code. It's a major step down in my opinion. Due to how it was implemented it also wasted a lot of my time. For example: Autodesk just copied and pasted their help documentation for ACAD Full to LT... Lots of the functionality of VS Code doesn't work in ACAD LT unfortunately.

The features that help me code faster with VLIDE are the LISP console, and the ability to load updated files in a single click I also use the "inspect" feature quite a bit. I don't really use debug features these days. I even use fields instead of "watch". I find the VLIDE's checking features also help me find missed brackets and other dumb little mistakes I've been making these days. VLIDE was actually really really good back in its day. A modern equivalent would be something else!! As long as it's not broken (so much stuff is broken these days).

I recall that someone uses Notepad++

I wish I could use BLADE but I can't.

It's not that hard to create a debugging console. There's just no money in it for a would-be software developer. Even me: Give me a year and I'd have something ready in .NET -> But by a year I mean full-time, so unless I was sitting on a pile of money... I personally would pay $2,000 for a LISP console that at least matches VLIDE's functionality. Or even just the features I actually use.

d2010

• Bull Frog
Re: AutoLISP Editor in 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 07:17:49 PM »
Even  if you got the VLIDE-clone.dll; but you cannot share on the public for everyone, this VLIDE-clone.dll. Why? Because many "management-of-sellingCAD" are 30% based on 
VLIDE.dll

Eveni , if you got the VLIDE-clone.dll, then everyone got
 ++Vlide-clone-for-zwcad
 ++Vlide-clone-for-gstarcad
 ++Vlide-clone-for-SolidWork
 ++Vlide-clone-for-TurboCad
You do not get too much!! :tickedoff: if you share the sources-of "VLIDE-clone.dll" , then
you waste of time for Al
l ??. How to sell Autocad2025, if sources-of "VLIDE-clone.dll" on 100%free inside the theGIT(as)com? Many bugs of VisualCode protect 63% the selling of AutoCad2025 and his future ;;
Code: [Select]
C:\> How to protect the BricsCad2024selling?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 01:46:57 AM by d2010 »

keithsCADservices

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 08:07:44 PM »
I have no f'king idea what I just read.

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 08:40:42 PM »
That's what happens when you douse AI in ethanol.
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 01:40:33 AM »
Yep Notepad++ has a lisp formatting option so dbl brackets are easy to check, there is also a activeX plug in so can run code in the editor.

Another option is "Compare" handy when looking for that broken variable can run a log file of setvars and compare another log file of setvars very handy ay times why Dwg1 works and not Dwg2.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 06:11:41 AM »
I wish I could use BLADE but I can't.

Why not?

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 08:23:31 AM »
I had a rough time getting started with VS Code & Python. Finally got things setup to where I’m pretty happy with it.
It’s extensible, the lisp plug in is open source, maybe the community can add features.
On the plus side, you can debug in the same environment for Acad, Gcad, and Zcad
which should make things easier if you’re developing for multiple platforms

VovKa

• Water Moccasin
  • Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 08:24:46 AM »
VLIDE was actually really really good back in its day.
and it still is
i'm doing some python programming at the moment and i use Wing Pro as my IDE. although it is overwhelmed with modern features but whenever i switch back to VLIDE there is only one thing that i'm missing - it's automatic highlighting of all occurrences of the selected text

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 05:18:28 PM »
VLIDE was actually really really good back in its day.
and it still is
i'm doing some python programming at the moment and i use Wing Pro as my IDE. although it is overwhelmed with modern features but whenever i switch back to VLIDE there is only one thing that i'm missing - it's automatic highlighting of all occurrences of the selected text

and minimal control over window pane location in the IDE, but that's not a ball breaker really, just an embugerance.
I like VLIDE too.
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

keithsCADservices

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 06:33:13 PM »
and minimal control over window pane location in the IDE, but that's not a ball breaker really, just an embugerance.

The window sizing issues kill me. Along with a few other things. The search functions are really helpful. Along with the console and "inspect". I'm otherwise very manual with code so I might just switch to Notepad++

I had a rough time getting started with VS Code & Python. Finally got things setup to where I’m pretty happy with it.

I speak with a bit of inexperience, but VS Code is really dependent on the plugins available for the code you want to write. Instructions on how to implement those plugins can be hit or miss. Given that Python so popular it's guaranteed that there'll be something good out there. VS Code is supposed to be minimalistic so if it takes me longer to figure things out compared to say, Visual Studio, all advantages are lost.

Why not?

I own a copy of BricsCAD (V21 I think). If I program for BricsCAD then I still need to debug in AutoCAD. This is worse than it sounds because my LISP extensively uses dynamic blocks (BricsCAD seems a little behind in that category). It seems like in recent years LISP API's are diverging unfortunately. If I have to go through that much trouble I would just use .NET and not spend the
BLADE was AWESOME. It had some focus issues that the developer was going to fix in the next release (relating to a window losing focus, it's buried somewhere in the forums). But even with that... I'm surprised it wasn't more popular. But I guess LISP itself isn't very popular.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 10:23:07 PM »
I think some of your problems with VSCode is lack of finding the tools that are there. VSCode has a console, paren jumping, (re)formatting, etc.. Also you may not have set yourself up properly. For example, using actual folders and sub folders for your projects (AutoLispers tend to host all their projects in one folder which is very bad). I would, if I were you, take a moment to reevaluate how you program in Lisp and use the "VSCode switch" to step up your game a bit and you may like it. For example, VSCode integrates nicely with Git, give that a try (Git or any version control software is really cool!).

I did a basic writeup on VSCode where I provided a batch script you double click when you start a new project. That script created all the directories, JSON files, etc. you'd need. All you have to do is create lisp files. I can find it if you really want to give it a shot.

You certainly don't have to stick with VSCode and you can choose your own editor (however, sadly, there are only about 10,000 text editors to choose from). I use Vim. UltraEdit I hear is a great editor. Notepad++ seems popular. And, I'm surprised more AutoLispers don't use Emacs (you extend that editor with Lisp).

The powerhouse editors are Emacs and Vim; no editor will ever surpass the amount of features those two editors have amassed for themselves with plugins/extensions/etc. (I have heard that emacs has "tens of thousands of commands") but that's not saying much if you don't use multiple operating systems or program in multiple languages so most editors out there will be great. Pick one that has a good feature base and give it a try. Before I choose Vim I really liked "Crimson Editor"; it was old and not fancy but it was FAST!

TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

57gmc

• Bull Frog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 10:29:59 AM »
Probably the biggest advantage to vlide is that you don't have to set up debugging, it's already integrated. I just never had the time to figure out how to debug lisp in vscode and I don't do that much lisp. But vscode has an advantage of Intellisense.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 11:56:17 AM »
In VSCode debugging is launched with <F5>. Doesn't get much easier.

EDIT:
And stopped with Shift+<F5>

Donate to TheSwamp.org

57gmc

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 12:57:06 PM »
In VSCode debugging is launched with <F5>. Doesn't get much easier.

EDIT:
And stopped with Shift+<F5>
Yes, but don't you have to configure it to start AutoCAD?

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 01:06:15 PM »
Not really. If you use the batch script I made to create new projects (folders and whatnot) I create a JSON file in the directory; that file can be very useful in that you can customize how you launch AutoCAD. For example, you can specify a profile to launch AutoCAD with for a given lisp project, if you need to.

Donate to TheSwamp.org