Author Topic: Create profile view polyline from plan view points  (Read 9607 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Create profile view polyline from plan view points
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »
I had, in the past, the tremendous misfortune to work on Mickeystation. I had to do it for more than a year, and boy did the time go slow. I was working (as always) in 2d and on an older version (not V8. ). Translation was a PITA, and from what I can see, MX is the same.

I may need some advice on how I can persuade the engineers to change to autocad products.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 01:30:38 PM »
Quote from: jonesy
I may need some advice on how I can persuade the engineers to change to autocad products.

Be careful, when I said beta I meant BETA

I keep a shorcut on my desktop to the folder that stores Civil 3D autosaves and before upgrading the hardware I was hitting that shortcut at least once an hour to recover from a crash.  I keep autosave at 5 minutes and just live with the delays.  It is still a rare day I don't restore an autosave.

If they have MX functioning and stable, they will not be very happy campers if forced to switch to the current Civil 3D

Dent Cermak

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 01:36:02 PM »
I really hate to say this, but in all honesty, when it comes to GPS, GIS, 3D modeling, Contouring and any other related mapping matters, Micrsatation is VASTLY superior to AutoCad.
I have heard that one of the principals has said that AutoCad will rule the surveying and mapping profession in a year. If so, it's gonna take a WHOLE lot more than Civil 3D and 2006. Both of them are on a par with R13 right now. The patches and fixes will probably fill several cd's before they get a useable product.

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 01:43:56 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
I really hate to say this, but in all honesty, when it comes to GPS, GIS, 3D modeling, Contouring and any other related mapping matters, Micrsatation is VASTLY superior to AutoCad . . .

Stop the presses and mark the time . . .

Absolutely dead center on target, Dent.  The issues surrounding 2006 and the continuing fiasco getting Civil 3D operational is alienating a huge segment of the Civil/GIS community, especially the small to medium size firms.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
If you think about it in the future, could you let me know if and when the software becomes more usable!

Many thanks
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »
For the tasks that it CAN do, Civil 3D is already amazing; it is just incomplete.  It is an exceptional tool for COGO, points management and profiles.  It also handles corridor modeling (cross sections) and surfaces with only a few glitches.  The grading shows promise, but stability issues are pushing users back to LDD to get projects completed without busting the budgets.
Autodesk is intent on phasing out LDD/Civil Design asap, so if one is inclined to keep using Autodesk, they would be well served to learn what Civil 3D CAN do and get their users up to date informally without the pressure of a deadline or tight budget.  Use it for what it does well and supplement with LDD, MX or whatever when it falls short.

tcdan

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 09:30:58 PM »
Sounds like quite a dance to try to keep up with all these products. . . what does a price comparison look like?

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 10:26:06 PM »
A full comparison (from Autodesk's perspective) can be found HERE.
I don't know about prices - all of the web sources just refer you to their sales departments.  I would expect the full packages of either to run $7k to 10k if you could not upgrade something.

sourdough

• Bull Frog
my 2 cents
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 01:05:15 AM »
I have almost started getting used to using LDT ... I even worked for softdesk (this was when it was a whole product from Henniker NH) after giving up one of the best civil packages called PacSoft. PacSoft used Basic and it was one of the best. It does what know LDT ended up with, if you consider that LDT is dead soon. It was a tool for Civil/Survey, but hence is also long gone. I know of a couple of packages that I hope will replace Civil3D, but would like to hear from others that might be using the packages (SurvCadd and EaglePoint).
   I used to use Carlson now called SurvCadd and looked at the most recent versions and found that Carlson is easiest to adapt to if used to LDT. I used Eaglepoint for a year 5 years back and it made me sick with all the errors and updates that weren't retro to a project. I do hope that the vision of Civil3D dies an ugly death.
  I know from the 18 years experience of doing this type work, that if I can't get on the machine with new software and use common sense and open the book just a bit, I could get it to work. The Civil3D just feels like a bad case of food poisoning. I do think that I probably have a case of not wanting to use a map to find the next gas station, but gut instinct tells me from the bottom of my self that the use of Civil3D just doesn't have a clue what the users want, and doubt if they even ask. I do hope that there will be a rescue in the making. Other rumors of Autodesk are that they plan to use Revit as a base to newer version.
  The learning curve to make a business profitable, let alone know that as a mere employee to a company who puts themselves out on the line with expectations of making it and knowing that the software that makes it possible is turning into a black eye is something that makes my future in doubt.

Learning & Growing

Mike
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

Dinosaur

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 06:20:34 PM »
Our office tried SurvCadd as an option to Land Desktop.  It was doomed as much by the incompetence of the users as any problems with the software, but From my perspective of actual drafting the program fell short of even Land Desktop which I find to be aceptable for design purposes only.  SurvCadd got only one shot with us with an inexperienced staff, but just observing the project evolution I was able to see serious problems with the way it created profile drawings.  For plat annotation, it may perform sightly better than Land Desktop.
Prior to SurvCadd, we had been using EaglePoint 95 on top of r13.  We were not close to using the full potential of that program for design but the drafting part of the program was superb.  Standard procedure in our office still is to export the layout to something r13 can read and do any plat annotation with EaglePoint.  The work is done significantly faster and looks better than jobs turned out using Land Desktop.
Civil 3d for platwork is a non-issue at this point thanks to the obtuse behavior of the Parcel module.
You are quite correct about the non-intuitive nature of Civil 3D's interface.  I have seen in the Autodesk newsgroups that programmers have been concentrating on getting things to just work and will adddress the interface issues based on the feedback they have been receiving - we can only hope.  As to Revit's influence, it has already contributed its toolspace style interface.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 12:05:59 AM by DinØsaur »