Author Topic: Create profile view polyline from plan view points  (Read 9608 times)

tcdan

Create profile view polyline from plan view points
« on: July 10, 2005, 12:50:35 AM »
I am new using LDD so maybe this is simple or has already been answered (hopefully not an obvious answer!).

So I have an aerial photo that I want to manually place points on and assign an elevation to them based on a topo map that I will lay over the aerial photo.  Then I want to create a polyline in profile view that shows the elevation as if you were driving the route.   It seem to me this is something that should have (or hopefully could) be automated - I just choose the points, which are numbered sequentially so that their order along the line is known, and 2-D polyline is drawn based on the distance between the points and the elevation that has been assigned to them.

Can it be done?

Dinosaur

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:10:54 PM »
Do You have Civil Design installed along with Land Desktop?

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 08:52:42 PM »
If he doesn't it's back to hand plotting the data.

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »
Either way, it is going to be a pretty rough profile without some actual shots.  It might not make any real difference, depending on his topo map.  Back when I was doodlebugging, we would call this a "barstool survey"; the clients would have revolted if they found out how some of their data was 'collected', but it was close enough sometimes.  Maybe it will be close enough for him as well.

tcdan

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 06:15:20 AM »
Yeah, this is just a 30% feasibility study (need to be accurate to withing 30% of the actual cost).  Down-n-dirty

So hand plotting it is huh?  Tell me about Civil CAD - is it worth it?  We do a lot with water-related civil design, some small grading plans (parking lot, small subdivision maybe). . .

Dent Cermak

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:19:07 AM »
During my one and only real trainning class on AutoCad, a month or so back, I learned tha LDD has 90% of the tools I need. The survey pack is basically for data collector links and downloads. (I do that so I need that.)The civil package gives me the grading tools and the alignment and profile tools. So not every drafter in my office needs all 3 pacs. That will save a lot of money in the future.
If you are preparing or working with a lot of x-sections in laying out water lines or sewer lines, then the civil pac is a MUST have. (Unless you just get off on hand plotting that stuff on a plan/profile sheet.) What takes a couple of hours by hand takes a few minutes in Civil. The pac will pay for itself in a very short time.

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 08:24:07 AM »
The bad news is that if you don't already have Civil Design you probably can't get it except as an add on to Civil 3D which is a BIG ol' can of worms.

tcdan

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:28:11 PM »
The bad news is that if you don't already have Civil Design you probably can't get it except as an add on to Civil 3D which is a BIG ol' can of worms.

Are you serious?  That's ridiculous - we don't need 3D stuff (well, I don't think we do).

Dent - could you give me a quick project example to give me a sense of what you mean by "a lot of x-sections".  How often do you actually use the package on projects and how big are your projects?  In any case, it seems to me that too much innovation is bad for small companies who are only doing a part of the overall project and are billing by the hour - cuz they end up charing their clients less.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
I do very few profiles or x-sections. Generally that is an engineering function and I send all of that mess to them. I am strictly plannimetric and topographic plats and maps.
If you prepare 20 or more x-section sheets a month, civil would pay for itself in a month or two in time saved. Once you have your alignment, you can knock out a profile or x-section with all lines and labels in under 5 minutes.
I think the civil pack for 2005 may still be available. You would need to check with your re-seller on that.
If you are laying out water and sewer lines and preparing the plan/profile sheets, this pack would be a "God Send".
I have used this pack on a sewer project over in Vicksburg, Ms. 175 miles of sewer line. Plan profile sheet covering the full project. I did the topo map and then cut a plan/provle from the engineer's layout. Probably 50 or 60 profiles. I really would have hated to do the project by interpolating elevations along the stations and then hand plotting that on a grid. I would probably just now be finishing up.
You need the tools to do your work in the shortest amount of time while maintaing accuracy and producing a professional looking product. That's what all of these add-ons allow you to do.
I cannot imagine doing my work without these tools, yet I am told 90% of the firms out there are doing this work and not using the figure prefix library or descriptor keys. Fine. Go ahead on Dudes. I'll smoke your butts on the schedule and thus I can do the work for less exspense and know my data is complete and correct. QC to the max!
See if your re-seller can get you a demo. I really believe that once you try it you won't want to go back. (I don't know that I can say that about Civil 3D. Haven't loaded it yet.)

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 06:09:45 PM »
Civil Design would certainly make your project easier and probably is a necessity if it grows past the concept phase.  Autodesk has however put LDD and Civil Design on life support only until Civl 3D can stand on its own and it is doubtful if they survive until the next format change.  I believe they can only be upgraded now as a part of the Civil 3D Design Suite.  Autodesk intends that Civil 3D WILL be used for all AutoCAD based civil design projects very soon If Autodesk can ever get the product complete.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 10:05:09 AM »
The engineers here use a program called MX (its by Bentley :moon: ) and it means that ant time a design is modelled by them it has to be translated to ACAD file format. It also means we have to have all sorts of object enablers on the machines.

Does anyone know how different the 2 programs are(MX and Civil 3D), or do they do completely different things. Us lowly caddies arent allowed to use/see it, you know hush hush, protect our jobs type thing :lol:
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »
MX is Microstation's program roughly equivalent to Civil 3D.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 11:45:54 AM »
Quote from: Dinosaur
MX is Microstation's program roughly equivalent to Civil 3D.

What do you mean roughly equivalent.
Is it better?
I cant figure out why we're using that when we have no intentions of buying microstation. This means every time the engineers make any change to the design model they have to translate it into ACAD, which means each of the files cannot be worked upon or even xref'd into a working drawing until they're completely finished, this then slows down the drawing time or am I being simplistic about this.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »
I know very little about MX except that it is from Microstation and it tries to use a 3D environment.  I think it may be more mature in its development than Civi 3D.  Civil 3D has much promise, but it is little more than a beta at this point.  It has no Hydrology modules at yet and the piping features that first appeared in the 2006 release are far from complete and the interface for building parts is notoriously unstable as are parcels and grading design.  It is still impossible to perform all of the necessary design work for most projects in Civil 3D without reverting to Land Desktop and Civil Design or some other package to pick up the missing and unstable functions.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 01:05:16 PM »
and I have found that when it comes to 3D and surfaces, Bently and AutoDesk are totally incompatable.