Author Topic: How find a AutoCAD drawing with a specific layer name?  (Read 1937 times)

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: How find a AutoCAD drawing with a specific layer name?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 08:29:50 AM »

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 09:11:28 AM »
Also posted here:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/75299071/7531598
CAD_guru, posting in several/multiple locations like this is a bit disrespectful.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

mhupp

• Bull Frog
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 09:57:08 AM »
Seriously though, I don't think I have ever searched for a file with a date. Ever. How do you remember dates? My date search would look like this: "date:<today"

You have had the good fortune of not having to work with people that are/were computer illiterate. It was once or twice a week I would have to go hunting for files that they swear they saved to folder x location. usually it was saved in the project folder they were previously working on. searching by modify date saved my life or at least several hours of work every week. Working in cad for almost 2 decides my default position is one hand on the keyboard one on the mouse. So all I had to do was type date and then the calendar would pop up & one mouse click later the files. But MS took it out for some reason about 3 or 4 years ago.

The pop up calendar *chef's kiss* may you rest in peace.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:02:56 AM by mhupp »

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 06:09:25 PM »
Mhupp get a copy of "Everything" it is fantastic it indexes multiple drives, type in a file name or part of and instant here it is. Great on a server or local drive.

A man who never made a mistake never made anything

57gmc

• Bull Frog
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 06:57:00 PM »
Is this what you're talking about Al?https://www.voidtools.com/
It was interesting googling everything.  :2funny:

I also found this at https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/everything
There are two things that differentiate Everything from Lookeen and X1 Search. First, the other two programs index and search email, as well as documents. Second, they both index the full text of each item, so you can search for any text in the file or email. Everything limits the index and the search to file names and paths only.

Lookeen might be a better solution if you need to do a full-text search.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 07:14:32 PM by 57gmc »

mhupp

• Bull Frog
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 08:26:25 PM »
I'll look into it BIGAL. Currently right now in using a spreadsheet that has the output from command prompt

dir /b /s *.dwg *.dxf > list.txt

This will generate a text file that has the full path of the files found. Input that into a spread sheet and you can search over thousands folders in seconds with xlookup.
you have to update the list if you want to keep it current so it isn't in real time. But this is the fastest method I have found to search the whole drive.