Author Topic: [rant] What happened to AutoCAD  (Read 9199 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: [rant] What happened to AutoCAD
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 10:32:29 AM »
I never really got out of the digitizer interface from DOS days when AutoCAD use to "sing"
This "digitizer" interface I use is fast, full of embedded LISP code that out performs most pull-down, slide-side-ways, scroll down to find the command type draughting... it utilizes DOSLIB, OPENDCL and iDwgTAB to make draughting fun again... but then, I'm an old bugger, set in my ways.

Is the right side of your screen the "iDwgTAB" or something else? I think I might have to try that out.

Long time fan of iDwgTab, which has been re-branded as Express Document Tab and is no longer a free app:

https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=6897317942183966705&os=Win32_64&appLang=en

Express Document Bar (by same developer) is free though:

https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=1740020613822001899&appLang=ko&os=Win32_64
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

DeeGeeCees_V.2.0

• Newt
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 11:49:29 AM »
30+ years of using the command line and my own lisp routines helps to keep me from having a learning curve for every new release, but then again it also stifles learning any new processes and methods as well. Old dogs aint too fond of new tricks.

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 01:56:47 PM »
I never really got out of the digitizer interface from DOS days when AutoCAD use to "sing"
This "digitizer" interface I use is fast, full of embedded LISP code that out performs most pull-down, slide-side-ways, scroll down to find the command type draughting... it utilizes DOSLIB, OPENDCL and iDwgTAB to make draughting fun again... but then, I'm an old bugger, set in my ways.

Is the right side of your screen the "iDwgTAB" or something else? I think I might have to try that out.

Yes,
The Left-hand side with layer disciplines is written with OpenDCL, has "slide-out" menus for sub-layer selection. It switches to the selected layer if it exists or changes gripped entities to the selected layer or creates the layer if it doesn't exist and can change gripped entities to a new selected layer.  This function was created out of a strict need for layer management. That way only layers that are required exist in the drawing file.

The middle section is using AutoCAD's standard toolbar functionally, but also gets increased speed with "QuikPik" (https://www.manusoft.com/software/quikpik.html), is speeds selection from the toolbar amongst other ACAD enhancements.

The Right-hand side is "iDwgTab" and is a must for visual selection and changing to drawings quickly.

All sections are movable and can be repositioned programmatically, so there is no need to stay with the screen layout as shown, though most monitors have resolutions that support the "A" series paper sizes and still allow these customization areas sufficient screen real-estate.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:02:08 PM by RGUS »

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »
Did something happen to osnaps?! It seems like I have to be super precise and most times it...glitchy.

That's quite the interface.

I took the opposite approach (-i.e. went super clean).
Code: [Select]
Steps to get AutoCAD back to looking classic.
1. `ribbonclose`
2. `filetabclose`
3. `menuload` = 1
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »
Even though I'm retired now...the enclosed PDF file illustrates my approach to customization.
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
I"ve been dragged out of retirement . . .
Say it ain't so! What the hell is going on over there?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)