Author Topic: [rant] What happened to AutoCAD  (Read 9193 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
[rant] What happened to AutoCAD
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:49:02 PM »
I took a job that made me switch back to using AutoCAD--instead of Revit--after years away. The last AutoCAD I used was about 2012. I used a few versions here and there but it was mostly for construction admin or answering RFIs (-i.e. nothing close to full time use).

1. What happened to block insert? I'm trying to get use to this "library interface" but this is ridiculous. I believe CAB had a block program so if I find a good routine, I'll modify this post.

2. The ribbon is very cumbersome to use (and takes up too much real estate) . Made the switch back to using old menus and toolbars already.

3. So far I have a love/hate relationship with multileaders.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: [rant] What happened to AutoCAD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 05:01:41 PM »
Don't get caught going down the rabbit hole trying to set it up like you remember. Much better off putting that time into learning the new interface.
CAD Tech

framednlv

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »
Ribbon, I hate the way it changes when you select xrefs or different types of entities.
Block insertion, create new Tool Palettes
Multileaders, I've got them using custom lisp:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:13:07 PM by framednlv »

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »

1. What happened to block insert? >>>>

I use  CLASSICINSERT . . . changed  the .PGP

I"ve been dragged out of retirement . . . first thing I complained about too :)
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 02:51:14 AM »
Hate the ribbon  :crazy2:

when I was drafting I used cleanscreen and autohotkey to customize my num pad for command shortcuts.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »
Nobody praises the possibilities of AutoCAD to fully customize the User Interface? :-)

You might hate the Ribbon or Palettes or love it, but unlike other applications AutoCAD can be fully customized. There are still commands available to the old Layer dialog or Block dialog. You don't need to use Ribbons, you don't need to use the button bars, you don't need to use the Command Line, you don't need to use... <anything>, it is a choice. And what you want to use, is editable or programmable.

:mrgreen:
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
@rob
The ribbon is gone. It was one command to make it disappear but workspaces make it easy to get back. I always been a keyboard guy so it was just taking up space.

@framednlv
I forgot about tool palettes. Nice!
I may want to steal that lisp from you.

@kerry
classicinsert. nice! :)
lol Oh no. You are obviously a wanted man. That has to make you feel good (and tell you how good you were at your job)!
Trying out my Aussie babblefish:
G’day Galah, ya old ripper. Put back on yous Knickers and get back to bonzo.

@daniel
Clean screen is a good idea. I'm going to use that.

@huiz
You can shorten that first statement to: "Nobody should praise AutoCAD".

Yes, programming is an option and I've been thinking about a programming project to work on and I may have an idea. I've been half-trying to get my AutoLisp skills back but maybe I'll use this chance to document the experience so everyone can watch me fall down (a lot) while I attempt to write a AutoLisp program. :)
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
Nobody praises the possibilities of AutoCAD to fully customize the User Interface? :-)

You might hate the Ribbon or Palettes or love it, but unlike other applications AutoCAD can be fully customized. There are still commands available to the old Layer dialog or Block dialog. You don't need to use Ribbons, you don't need to use the button bars, you don't need to use the Command Line, you don't need to use... <anything>, it is a choice. And what you want to use, is editable or programmable.

QFT

I leave the Ribbon minimised.  There are a few things that are easier through it (editing hatches comes to mind),so you save the real-estate but it;s there when you need/want it.

dJE
===
dJE

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 11:29:06 AM »
 :hahanot:
You sound like my people after every new release. Embrace the change. :sick:

GD&R

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 12:02:37 PM »
When I fire up AutoCad, Most of my time is spent trying to get back on the bycicle.    :uglystupid2:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 07:06:37 PM »

QFT

I leave the Ribbon minimised.  There are a few things that are easier through it (editing hatches comes to mind),so you save the real-estate but it;s there when you need/want it.

dJE
I minimiz(s)e it as well .. although I'm still a toolbar person when I'm not on the command line.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 02:26:25 AM »
I never really got out of the digitizer interface from DOS days when AutoCAD use to "sing"
This "digitizer" interface I use is fast, full of embedded LISP code that out performs most pull-down, slide-side-ways, scroll down to find the command type draughting... it utilizes DOSLIB, OPENDCL and iDwgTAB to make draughting fun again... but then, I'm an old bugger, set in my ways.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
Now that is beautiful, I love buttons!
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »
WOW.
Civil3D 2020

Matthew H

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:09 AM »
I never really got out of the digitizer interface from DOS days when AutoCAD use to "sing"
This "digitizer" interface I use is fast, full of embedded LISP code that out performs most pull-down, slide-side-ways, scroll down to find the command type draughting... it utilizes DOSLIB, OPENDCL and iDwgTAB to make draughting fun again... but then, I'm an old bugger, set in my ways.

Is the right side of your screen the "iDwgTAB" or something else? I think I might have to try that out.