Author Topic: Anyone know this one?  (Read 2534 times)

Squirltech

• Newt
Anyone know this one?
« on: December 29, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
Here's one for you...personally, I've never used this setting, variable, method before but maybe some of you have.

Using Civil3d/AutoCAD draw a line 100 feet long from left to right. Line can be at an angle if desired.
Place another line, using a different color for visual, by snapping to the left end of the 100 foot line then move your cursor to the opposite end of the 100 foot line, endpoint snap active. Now, DON'T snap to that endpoint. Instead get your cursor close enough to invoke the proximity snap but don't accept it, input a distance of 50 feet. Does the newly placed line follow the direction of the 100 foot line or does it follow the placement of your cursor?

I would like it to follow where that snap is showing, not the cursor. Anyone know the variable or setting that controls this? Based on my testing, it is not Polar Tracking.

Below is a GIF showing what I'm trying to do with a (I think) variable already within AutoCAD. Notice, I'm drawing the lines toward the end point snap but I am NOT snapping to those endpoints. I start at the vertex and draw a line at a certain distance toward the endpoint. Any help is appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/BEaHFps
"The only thing left to do is everything" - Jesse James

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
Re: Anyone know this one?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
I also haven't tried, but you could try :
1. make line
2. start new line at end point
3. turn "ext" extension osnap and move mouse in the direction opposite of what you want (as continuation of existing line)...
4. input negative value to make line in direction that overlaps with existing line - this is what you initially wanted ?

HTH.
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

Squirltech

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to help a user who tells me that they had the initial setting in their machine and then received a new laptop from IT and now that setting doesn't operate the way it did. Myself, not knowing the variable because I don't do it that way, assumed it was a variable or something that was "off" but I have no idea what it is though. I've tried OSNAPCOORD which others have said worked for them but that is not the case for the user I'm trying to help.

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:33:00 PM »
My OSNAPCOORD is set to 1 and I've never used Polar Tracking and as long as the Endpoint indicator is displayed entering a distance draws the line in the same direction as the existing line not the cursor. Maybe Polar Tracking has to be off?
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D

Squirltech

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm not sure. The user has said that they can work without it. Everything that's been tried gives me the intended result but it doesn't for the user which confuses me because our machines are configured the same. Oh well, moving on to the next thing I suppose. Thanks everyone for your input.