Author Topic: Can BricsCAD replace AutoCAD  (Read 8648 times)

mailmaverick

• Bull Frog
Can BricsCAD replace AutoCAD
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »
Hi All, there must be many users here who have worked on both BricsCAD and AutoCAD.
Can BricsCAD replace AutoCAD ?
Is there anyone who felt that switching from AutoCAD to BricsCAD was a wrong idea.
Please share your views. Thanks.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
Re: Can BricsCAD replace AutoCAD
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
I’ve been using BricsCAD for two years now, and I will never go back to AutoCAD!
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Hi Mailmaverick,

I just did the BricsCAD free trial. It was the second time doing the free trial in the last few years. The program has it's strengths and weaknesses when comparing to AutoCAD. It's outright better than Acad in some areas in fact (it runs much smoother on my computer for one).

The short answer is yes, it can replace AutoCAD 100% for some users. It's for sure one of the better choices if you want to replace AutoCAD completely, because compared to some of the other AutoCAD clones, the file compatibility between it an AutoCAD is superior* (*This is hearsay but from a reliable source, I haven't had enough time to test that out personally. I myself would keep an AutoCAD LT license active just in case and to create dynamic blocks [see below]).

The long answer: There are a few objective drawbacks to using BricsCAD. For one, block creation is really far behind (You can import blocks from AutoCAD though; perhaps another user can chime in as to whether this creates stability issues or not). Also, to get the best value from the software's pricing scheme, you need to make a relatively large initial investment. This even applies for the 'classic' license. I noticed some features that should be included in the 'classic' license aren't; one needs to get a 'Pro' or 'Platinum' license just to obtain a few simple features. Depending on your work flow and style of CAD, these drawbacks might have exactly zero effect on your productivity, or a drastic effect on your productivity.

After trying the program out for the second time, I wasn't as impressed as the first trial for a few different reasons. 1) The pricing has gotten substantially more expensive (and more convoluted) It's not much more expensive to just go with AutoCAD LT. And 2) It seems like Hexagon (the parent company of BricsCAD) is going down Autodesk's route and focusing on 'flashy' features that nobody will use, rather than refining the core functions of the program.

I might still purchase a BricsCAD Classic license. If the price was 50 - 75% of what it is currently I would have done so already. But instead I am checking out other CAD clones; ProgeCAD is next on my list. It has way more functionality than the BricsCAD classic license for roughly the same price. Whether it is useable remains to be seen.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 08:45:45 PM »
Let's cite a few links from the Vendor's sites for a non-opinionated pricing and feature comparison:

https://www.bricsys.com/en-au/bricscad/compare/

https://www.autodesk.com.au/products/autocad/compare?plc=ACDIST&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quantity=1

BricsCAD 'Ultimate' is still over 20% cheaper than vanilla AutoCAD!

BricsCAD would have to be one of the best general 2D/3D AutoCAD alternatives on the market at the moment. Pricing is more than fair, features are rich (although better organisation within workspaces of some of them could be better), .dwg compatibility, plugin portability and support is fast and second to none.

Yes, there are alternatives but they are coming very late to the party, Intellicad and others took a long time to move over to the Teigha lib's and are still playing catch up and have lost a lot of market share as a result.
With the backing and world wide marketing clout of Hexagon, I can see BricsCAD will only become a bigger player in years to come.

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »
I like the ability of using IFC in BricsCAD.
Makes it work well in a BIM environment!

Little demo i made of the explorer.
https://youtu.be/e4RFG80Imoo
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..