Author Topic: Would you leave your legacy to the public?  (Read 3265 times)

jtm2020hyo

• Newt
Would you leave your legacy to the public?
« on: April 22, 2020, 02:19:51 AM »

Which is the best routine that you know and might share it?

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Would you leave your legacy to the public?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »
We already have a post like this.

`legacy' is probably a little dramatic when you're talking about programming code/routine.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jtm2020hyo

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:53:45 AM »

`legacy' is probably a little dramatic when you're talking about programming code/routine.

Yes, I noticed that exist some post where the people show their favorite code. The reason for my post is the coronavirus, for example, lee mac, if this relevant die, will be a great punch to the entire world, then what lisp / code/ library might be shared for this guru to the world as a last wish?.

jtm2020hyo

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55:24 AM »

... in resume, which might be your last wish as an AutoCAD expert?

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:45:51 AM »
That is a little pessimistic for my taste but I understand the meaning/thought.

You should read the novella "What is man" by Mark Twain. I think you may like it.
[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_Man%3F_(Twain_essay) ]

A lot of the people I learned from do not have websites or are actively using AutoLisp anymore. But I would say one of *my* crowning achievements came when I was able to have a conversation with one my mentors and fully understand every bit of the code/example we were discussing. The code was short, so understanding the code was the easy part, the realization of: that I understood the decision process behind every bit of code was the achievement for me. That is when I felt I had "fallen off the shoulder of a giant and started to become one too".

But as far as `legacy' goes. AutoLisp will be the last thing on my mind at that moment. My children/family and what I left them will probably be my final thoughts. -i.e. my children are my legacy.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:01:49 AM »
Se7en
This may be the first time I've ever wanted a "LIKE" as facebook has for a post.
Thank you.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »
Oh, thank you, Lonnie.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jtm2020hyo

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 10:56:17 PM »
That is a little pessimistic for my taste but I understand the meaning/thought.

You should read the novella "What is man" by Mark Twain. I think you may like it.
[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Is_Man%3F_(Twain_essay) ]

A lot of the people I learned from do not have websites or are actively using AutoLisp anymore. But I would say one of *my* crowning achievements came when I was able to have a conversation with one my mentors and fully understand every bit of the code/example we were discussing. The code was short, so understanding the code was the easy part, the realization of: that I understood the decision process behind every bit of code was the achievement for me. That is when I felt I had "fallen off the shoulder of a giant and started to become one too".

But as far as `legacy' goes. AutoLisp will be the last thing on my mind at that moment. My children/family and what I left them will probably be my final thoughts. -i.e. my children are my legacy.

I agree with Lonnie, , very motivating, I hope I can live that experience someday.

if your children are the most important, I might suggest to leave them all your passwords related to code, just if an emergency occurs.

Grrr1337

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »

Yes, I noticed that exist some post where the people show their favorite code. The reason for my post is the coronavirus, for example, lee mac, if this relevant die, will be a great punch to the entire world, then what lisp / code/ library might be shared for this guru to the world as a last wish?.

The person itself is the real value - the knowledge and the idea he shares,
so take your time to study LISP and participate on the forums because you are missing alot more than some libraries.

I feel honored for the ability to share ideas and questions with people like Lee Mac, VoVka, Stefan BMR, MP, MR, gile, ronjonp, Tharwat, BIGAL, dlanorh ... just to name a few.

And I really feel that I'm missing alot from the knowledge of people like BlackBox, alanjt, Peter, Fixo and other seemingly inactive users, because I never was in touch with them,
it were just the posts on the different forums by them that got my attention (the 'libraries' you reffer to).

Often there are cases where the OP can't actually code, or isn't being good enough - but shares great ideas in the form of request or just a discussion,
and with the participation of others the whole topic becomes gold.
Even if that same topic stays unaswered doesn't mean that its a waste.

On the other hand I have this friend that only collects 'stuff' (libraries) and does just that,
hence without the actual ideas and the knowledge of assembling some pragmatical algorithm for a end-program,
one becomes a 'collector' and nothing more - no ideas to share, no skills to share, just 'discovering' other people's hard work.
(apply ''((a b c)(a b c))
  '(
    (( f L ) (apply 'strcat (f L)))
    (( L ) (if L (cons (chr (car L)) (f (cdr L)))))
    (72 101 108 108 111 32 87 111 114 108 100)
  )
)
vevo.bg

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 02:31:57 PM »
And I really feel that I'm missing alot from the knowledge of people like BlackBox, alanjt, Peter, Fixo and other seemingly inactive users, because I never was in touch with them,
it were just the posts on the different forums by them that got my attention (the 'libraries' you reffer to).

I never had it confirmed, but I was told a couple of years ago, in a roundabout way, that Fixo (Fatty) has left us. Sorely missed.  :reallysad: