Author Topic: Setting up work from home  (Read 4377 times)

Rod

• Newt
Setting up work from home
« on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »
As many of us are having to work from home or setup work from home for others. I'm intereseted in what lessons you have learned from doing so.
Has this changed any of your lisp routines / other programs? Have you written any new programs to assist in setting this up?

Hope eveyone is OK.

Cheers, Rod.
"All models are wrong, some models are useful" - George Box

jtoverka

• Newt
Re: Setting up work from home
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »
I simply took my work computer home with me, as did everyone else. The only difference is my IT guy set up a VPN to remote login to the server at work. That way we have access to all the network stuff we would at work. So nothing changed except for the scenery.

Rod

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »
I have set up a VPN too. One of my considerations is to take a copy of our 50gb aerial photography ecw file home and add its location to my support paths.
From my understanding I will need to change the path from absolute to "no path" so the file is not found on the VPN and is found through the support path, which will be local.

alterego

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:03:10 AM »
The company I work for wont allow the desktop computers/monitors etc to be removed. SO therefore we use our own computers to VNC into work. Its not the best situation, but it does allow us to carry on working, turning a profit for the company.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »
I've been working from home for years now and I love it.

Warning: The first week will the be hardest on you. After you get through some first week frustrations, you will start to feel a bit segregated, keep plugging on and you will start to enjoy your work a lot more and not want to go back to the office -i.e. working in an office is pointless these days.

Long term support (LTS):
1. VPN Sucks. It's slow but works okay and is about 85% reliable.
        a. If the company is dead set on VPN you need a good firewall that supports a good enough IPSec/OpenVPN throughput (you set up a good handshake with your home network and your work network and your speeds will increase a bit).
        b. Most companies have horrible VPN speeds/implementations and most times AutoCAD is super slow. Get unnecessary things off VPN bandwidth; either CAD or Gen Office gets off VPN to lighten the load on the other. But, even a good IPSec setup you will not improve this much; it is mostly AutoCAD not VPN.
2. Get good/better with BlueBeam or Adobe. Develop standards and procedures.
3. The cloud (bim360, etc.) works good. You are more subject to slowdowns but overall the connection is about 85% reliable.
4. There are other solutions (Peer to Peer stuff) that works great. If anyone ever gets to that point, I can help you with some of those bottlenecks.

Short Term Support:
1. Suck it up, and learn from the experience. It is fun and it will teach you to be more organized.

NOTES:
The current company I work for is serverless; meaning we don't have a company server and I don't have to VPN into anything anymore. Yay!
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jtoverka

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »
My company uses Vault. So all AutoCAD work is done on a local machine, which makes AutoCAD run at normal speeds. Vault is slower now, but I don't use it much but at the beginning and end of the day.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »
We are utilizing sharepoint and then we placed all our support paths on our local laptops. VPN we login for borrowing licenses then disconnect. Its nice from a performance and user experience side of thing!
Civil3D 2020

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
We are utilizing sharepoint and then we placed all our support paths on our local laptops. VPN we login for borrowing licenses then disconnect. Its nice from a performance and user experience side of thing!

Nice. ...wouldn't the PROJECTNAME variable help or be slightly easier?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rod

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 05:50:49 PM »
Thanks everyone, I am learning from the experience and now from your experiences too.

I have users with a combination of- needing to take the PC home, laptops, good PC at home.

I will be trying VPN, VPN and VNC, VPN and offline files.

Any other tips? Our download speeds are reasonable but I'm worried slower upload on both ends will be the problem.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »
I use Dropbox and TeamViewer
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 08:54:24 AM »
Thanks everyone, I am learning from the experience and now from your experiences too.

I have users with a combination of- needing to take the PC home, laptops, good PC at home.

I will be trying VPN, VPN and VNC, VPN and offline files.

Any other tips? Our download speeds are reasonable but I'm worried slower upload on both ends will be the problem.

upload speeds will be your bottleneck.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
I am no longer in CAD world but we use VPNs and ITwits rolled a new version with better performance when having to reach into the server for something.

Since I work in the field using a laptop, I have gotten used to using Offlines files.  So I mapped the minimalist amount of folders for all my projects to offline.  This has helped with fat files like photos and PDFs working from home.  And I found out that the Offline files App has been pushing updated files back to the server so I am relieved about back up.   But again I am not trying to CAD.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

baitang36

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 03:49:56 AM »
As many of us are having to work from home or setup work from home for others. I'm intereseted in what lessons you have learned from doing so.
Has this changed any of your lisp routines / other programs? Have you written any new programs to assist in setting this up?

Hope eveyone is OK.

Cheers, Rod.
Now I can work in the office normally. The epidemic has been basically controlled. My life has gradually returned to normal, but I have to wear a mask.

Biscuits

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:23 AM »
I'm set up at home using VPN. Having issues with zoom and pan. Seems to have a life of it's own. Continues to zoom/pan even though I'm done. Randomly zoom way out or even reverses direction on it's own. Any suggestions? Frustrating!