Author Topic: Send an email in background and then delete it  (Read 13770 times)

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
Re: Send an email in background and then delete it
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
First of all, I apologize for the delay and I thank Michael for what he wrote about me (actually I've been attending for more
than twenty years Autolisp and surroundings), I apologize also for my poor English (Google translator) who sometimes
creates misunderstandings.

I confirm what I wrote in my post #2 "Yes, I confess it's an unhealthy idea, I wanted to see which users use certain functions ..."
since I care a lot about my reputation I wanted to be more detailed in my idea.

My intent is NOT fraudulent but simply this (example):

Alfa, Beta and Gamma are three of my clients and have been using some of my programs for many years.
I state that I am not a real programmer but I have created a standard for for the design of stainless
steel catering in cruise ships environments (kitchens, bars, refrigerator rooms, etc.) with special functions
which force users to draw according to pre-established rules (Layers, styles, dimstyles, etc.).

Every user of Alfa, Beta and Gamma can use my programs by authorizing them through a special command
which creates an email in which there is the name of the user, hard disk serial number, CAD serial, etc.
I reply to this email by sending a custom activation file.

All this sometimes makes me lose a lot of time because if a user changes the PC, the PC changes user or for some reason
the authorization doesn't work I have to answer in a short time to make sure that the operator can use my functions
without the interruptions that are foreseen when using the program in a free way.

Lately for the Gamma customer, for not having multiple activation requests,
I created a command that allows the authorization an autonomous and unlimited way without asking anything
but that should only be used in the Gamma company.

It has been a while since the UserX of Gamma client goes to work to the Alfa client (for example) and theoretically could
copy my programs to activate them at that client or at any other.

My simple need was to check who was using my programs and with which client.

However, I believe I will abandon the way to delete the generated message so that it remains a trace
to those who sent it so as not to generate doubts also about my activity with the customer.

I hope I have translated it correctly so as not to generate incorrect interpretations.

Thank you all.

Marco

VovKa

• Water Moccasin
  • Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »
All this sometimes makes me lose a lot of time because if a user changes the PC, the PC changes user or for some reason
the authorization doesn't work I have to answer in a short time to make sure that the operator can use my functions
without the interruptions that are foreseen when using the program in a free way.
why bother with all the emails?
create a simple site with a script that will check/generate activation data and send it back to the user automatically
i've just tried
it took me only an hour and half to find a free hosting, create an account, register a domain, read some general info on how php scripts work, create a simple script that reads parameters from the url and generates a reply

the only thing you need to do is to write your own secure reply generation function

if you need a step by step guide just ask
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:26:43 AM by VovKa »

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 02:53:32 AM »
why bother with all the emails?
create a simple site with a script that will check/generate activation data and send it back to the user automatically
i've just tried
it took me only an hour and half to find a free hosting, create an account, register a domain, read some general info on how php scripts work, create a simple script that reads parameters from the url and generates a reply
http://vlisp.epizy.com/register.php?name=test&hd=123&mac=456

the only thing you need to do is to write your own secure reply generation function
Thanks!  :-)   ..."I state that I am not a real programmer..."
if you need a step by step guide just ask
I will surely appreciate it and I will try to use your advice.
Grazie.

P.S.: the link http://vlisp.epizy.com/register.php?name=test&hd=123&mac=456  get only:  "e23f73f986bcfcfb04ee97f0ad4801e6"

VovKa

• Water Moccasin
  • Ukraine
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 04:05:42 AM »
P.S.: the link http://vlisp.epizy.com/register.php?name=test&hd=123&mac=456  get only:  "e23f73f986bcfcfb04ee97f0ad4801e6"
heh
now it returns nothing :)
probably i've chosen not the best hosting server

i've got the message "Your account was taken down because you have exceeded the usage limits for free hosting or because of abuse."

i know nothing about web hosting may be i've done smth wrong
but this is not a problem there are lots of others
http://vlisp.eu5.org/register.php?name=test1&hd=123&mac=4513
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:06:21 AM by VovKa »

VovKa

• Water Moccasin
  • Ukraine
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 04:44:09 AM »
ok here's the deal
1. find a hosting server. let's try https://www.freewebhostingarea.com/
2. in 'Free SubDomain Hosting' enter the desired subdomain name
3. register the account
4. you will be provided with a page with usernames and passwords for your ftp and control panel, save it
5. go to your site's 'Control panel' and enable php
6. go to your site's 'File manage' (it is an ftp server) and upload the attached file
that's all

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 07:33:11 AM »
ok here's the deal
1. find a hosting server. let's try https://www.freewebhostingarea.com/
2. in 'Free SubDomain Hosting' enter the desired subdomain name
3. register the account
4. you will be provided with a page with usernames and passwords for your ftp and control panel, save it
5. go to your site's 'Control panel' and enable php
6. go to your site's 'File manage' (it is an ftp server) and upload the attached file
that's all
Grazie mille. If I have any problems I'll come back here, have a nice day.  :-)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
I'm very happy you got a good solution for your problem! :)

Also, thinking along the great idea Vovka provided, if you wanted to add in some "per customer" type of automation, you can use that "LiFP" tool I created; you could build in some ID generation--or something along those lines--into each users program version and have a `per customer/user' solution. You can use LiFP to generate any text based file so you can build a simple webpage, lisp(s), php script, etc. with a customer/user ID with a simple BATCH script.

https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37700.0
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2019, 04:22:29 AM »
I'm very happy you got a good solution for your problem! :)

Also, thinking along the great idea Vovka provided, if you wanted to add in some "per customer" type of automation, you can use that "LiFP" tool I created; you could build in some ID generation--or something along those lines--into each users program version and have a `per customer/user' solution. You can use LiFP to generate any text based file so you can build a simple webpage, lisp(s), php script, etc. with a customer/user ID with a simple BATCH script.

https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37700.0
Grazie ancora. I had read something about "LiFP" but I thought it was out of my reach, now there's another reason to run my old brain  :gum:  to see if I can get something.
Have a nice day.  :-)
Marco

jtoverka

• Newt
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
This thread is treading on ethics-thin-ice. Why would an autolisp developer care how often a user uses his/her application? I have a far better idea; instead of focusing on creative spying techniques, focus on making a better application or methods. Rinse and repeat for the next "great idea".

It's not just autolisp developers, but developers in general.

Personally, this is on the bottom of my priority list, however, it is still on my list. The code I posted creates data that is mostly useless. I have since removed this from my applications. I would rather see if there are errors thrown and what kind of errors. Most users don't report this, if it doesn't work, they just don't use it. This data is very important on making a better application. Especially when a user will use the application in ways not intended by the developer.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »
But I specifically asked about AutoLisp -i.e. an interpreted language, vs a compiled one. AutoLisp is a very small market and therefore I was questioning the amount of money to be made from such a small niche market--and the need to actually care as much about this aspect of development. In other words, what is the return on investment--time and effort for the payoff--and is/would it be better to just accept a loss factor for the sake of time and effort. Obviously, there are plenty of solutions to the problem--as anyone can read from the thread--but the question is still valid as far as I'm concerned (interpreted language in a niche market). If you put in the time and effort into a program, and make a few dollars on it, great! However, at the end of the day you have to remind yourself that your time and effort are far more valuable then a concern about someone "stealing your code, etc.".

If a person can parse error/crash reports and improve the program and still make money, then that's great! I assume updates to the program would be paid for then?

This thread is treading on ethics-thin-ice. Why would an autolisp developer care how often a user uses his/her application? I have a far better idea; instead of focusing on creative spying techniques, focus on making a better application or methods. Rinse and repeat for the next "great idea".

It's not just autolisp developers, but developers in general.

Personally, this is on the bottom of my priority list, however, it is still on my list. The code I posted creates data that is mostly useless. I have since removed this from my applications. I would rather see if there are errors thrown and what kind of errors. Most users don't report this, if it doesn't work, they just don't use it. This data is very important on making a better application. Especially when a user will use the application in ways not intended by the developer.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org