Author Topic: Network Paths vs Plot Stamp  (Read 6475 times)

M-dub

Network Paths vs Plot Stamp
« on: June 13, 2005, 11:44:56 AM »
Years ago, there was a real wingnut here who had too much authority and too many radical ideas (bad combination).  Anyway, one of these 'great ideas' was to start adding the network path into each drawing.  Some of these strings are regular Dtext and some are blocked attributes, part of the title block.

I would like to get away from this practice, but it has been in place for the last 5 years or so.  I did a search on our system and found 3339 drawings containing the path.  I would like to use the plot stamp in place of the hard coded tag because someone here likes to put copies of drawings all over the place and using the plot stamp would show us the 4 of the 5 W's (Who, What, Where, and When).  The hard coded tag only shows us where the drawing is SUPPOSED to be...not where it actually IS.

I'm wondering if any of you would agree with this decision and I'm looking for suggestions on how to implement this.  We could leave the drawings alone, but still turn on the plot stamp...it would just look a little ugly.

I don't know...Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 12:45:19 PM »
i totally agree with you and think you should implement that ASAP.  As far as how, Im thinking a script.  Is the tag in the same place consistently so you could use a preset coordinate pick?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 12:46:10 PM »
for the ones that are blocks, the script sould search for the block, and delete any instance of it.  That would be fairly easy.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:08:25 PM »
Thanks Commander!
I like your thinkin' because that's how I WOULD do it.  Unfortunately, like everything else about these drawings, there are many different 'flavours' of the path.  I would estimate there to be at least 8 or 10 different 'methods' used to add the path.  I think that the best way to get rid of them would be the same way we brought 'em in here.  It was decided to add the path only to drawings that we modified and I agreed with that approach.  There are tons of drawings that we will likely never look at again...no sense in spending the time to add the path to those drawings.

I am going to make that recommendation and see how it's taken.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »
good enough.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
i use richtext to in a block as a part of my title block...is that what you are talking about?

Royalchill

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 08:19:35 AM »
I just have everyone turn on there plot stamp and load the pss file i created, just so we all look the same.