Author Topic: Civil 3D - Fiber-Optics Friendly ?  (Read 6585 times)

Dinosaur

Civil 3D - Fiber-Optics Friendly ?
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
I really thought I was over all this stuff but ...
An opportunity may be available for me to supplement my monthly government dole right here in the high plains of Colorado 2 miles from my front door in a brand new role that has never been occupied.  Appears to use some blend of GIS, Vizio and Civil 3D to design a new Fiber-Optic system throughout the region.  Are any of you guys using C3D for this type of application?  Are there any built in tools for said to ease the pain or perhaps some 3rd party solutions?  Is MAP query a reasonable answer to import / export to GIS or is that a migraine in waiting best treated with alternate work flow?  Is Vizio a valuable member in this stable or something avoided whenever possible?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D - Fiber-Optics Friendly ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »

My guess; they are using C3D but they are using it as 'autocad'
and 'only' using profiles for areas where they need to plot other utility crossings/conflicts for the
directional boring machines.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
Not sure ... after reflecting a bit on what they shared it seems they have already put down a bunch of cable and are designing it on the fly.  This may be more of preparing the documents after the fact ... as-builts more or less.  SOME travel, GPS locations, probably legal / survery info and import existing utilities via IGIS

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »
That would make sense to me, about design and build type of projects with as-builts.

I wonder if they would be using generic autocad "C3D" like Michael said or ESRI Arcmap.
Civil3D 2020

Conrad

• Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »
At the company I am working at currently, we design the route and use C3D for alignments and boring of the fiber route.  We haven't done any as-builts and so far C3D is our primary software followed by microstation.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
Esri will handle mega mega maps Autocad will grind to a halt our GIS system is into an unbelievable Gb size. The Autocad is probably the front end then import into Esri etc.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
Since they are now partners. Do you think they will make it easier to intergrate information with eachother via the AutoCAD (Style Applications) or Infraworks?
Civil3D 2020