Author Topic: Dynamic Scale w/ Lookups  (Read 7642 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Dynamic Scale w/ Lookups
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
I am trying to create a dynamic block that is a bar scale (that shows vertical and horizontal scales) using lookup values.

I know I can create a visibility state of all the scales imaginable in one list. But it be nice if I could select a vertical scale from the first pull down and then the corresponding scale on the second pull down below. Then the scale could show what the combination would look like.

I have been trying to follow the post that are here, but still having a hard time making them work.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/ootb-multiple-visibility-states-solution/td-p/4961288

Thanks for any ideas!

Civil3D 2020

ChrisCarlson

Re: Dynamic Scale w/ Lookups
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:09:03 AM »
Look ups are a pain, first you need to make a visibility state for every single option you want. Then you make a lookup for each visibility state to have options that you want.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
I agree with you. They are a pain. I do have every scenario built for the visibility states. Its just getting the lookups to link up correctly. If I can figure out the relationship one to another I think I can knock the rest of it out.
Civil3D 2020

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
Maybe use a block lookup table. Simple example attached.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:43:16 AM »
Once you've created a visibility state for every combination, you have to choose one or other for the user to select first.  These notes are based on choosing "horizontal" first, but it should be easy enough for you to adapt to do the other way round!

The screen grabs I'm posting here are for one I did for a sofa.  You select the number of seats then select a corresponding activity zone type.

Create a Lookup table to select your horizontal scales.  Set your Input Property to the Visibility selector and choose a default state for each horizontal scale.  On the right-hand side, you enter the text you want to appear in the drop-down menu (the horizontal scales).  MAKE sure that you enable "Allow reverse lookup".

You then need to create another lookup table for each horizontal scale.

Again, select the Visibility action as your input, but this time you need to select the states for all the vertical scales available at that horizontal scale.  On the right hand side, you again enter the text you want to appear in the drop down menu (the vertical scales), again, make sure to enable "reverse lookup."

Make sure you constrain the visibility of each "vertical" lookup table to only appear in its relevant horizontal scales.

I've also uploaded the sofa block I created - looking through that may well help you.

Could someone tell me how to get the images I've attached into the post please?!?

dJE
===
dJE

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »
Thank you for your input.... I’ll look into that later today hopefully! Btw your images came through ok. Or at least I can see them.

Ronjon, your idea seems pretty straight forward. I think I’m playing with both options! Thanks again for everyone’s feedback! Crazy week.
Civil3D 2020

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
Thank you for your input.... I’ll look into that later today hopefully! Btw your images came through ok. Or at least I can see them.

Ronjon, your idea seems pretty straight forward. I think I’m playing with both options! Thanks again for everyone’s feedback! Crazy week.
Let us know how it goes!

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »
oh... trust me I will. I just need to figure out how to document it so I can follow it next time lol.
Civil3D 2020

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
I think I got it to work. Here it is... Maybe someone might know a better way.

On the flip side. I know need to figure out how to document how I did this... so I can remember in few years how to do it again. lol

Civil3D 2020