Author Topic: "scanning the drawing"  (Read 4825 times)

tcdan

"scanning the drawing"
« on: May 31, 2005, 06:30:52 PM »
I have a small jpeg (<100k) in my CAD file, and when I return from the plot dialog, sometimes the system tray will display the text "scanning the drawing" and the drawing just sits there for 5 full seconds do nothing (maybe checking to see if anything in the drawing has changed or something).  It's pretty annoying when I'm playing with pen settings and moving into and out of the drawing from the Plot Layout dialog - is there a way to disable this :?:

daron

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:17:57 AM »
A way to disable, would be to unload your images. Reload them when you want to print them. Images are memory HOGS.

M-dub

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:45:53 AM »
Put them on an Images layer and turn them off...?

tcdan

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »
Turning the image off didn't work too well. . . CAD took a little less time to "scann the drawing" but not much.  And I don't want to hide it anyways because it's the main part of the drawing I'm working with.  It seems like TIFF files were never this hard to work with. . . I guess that's because they can be 'tiled'.

tcdan

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:31:46 AM »
Ahhh, I figured it out - the JPEG wasn't the problem at all.  I waltzed into Image Manager and found about 10 unreferenced images hanging out!  They weren't in the drawing anywhere, but CAD was still 'keeping tabs on them'.  I detached them and the drawing has been quick and nimble ever since.  You can't purge those guys - why?  Would CAD be checking to see if their path is still accurate. . . I don't know.

M-dub

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:37:33 AM »
If the image is not required while you do the work, I would turn it off, then when you need to print it, turn it back on.  Leave it on and save the drawing.

This wouldn't have anything to do with a virus scnner in the background would it?  I know we have one that is a MAJOR memory hog and it slows every open, save, print, etc.

M-dub

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 11:39:27 AM »
~forget about my response~

Thanks for posting the solution, though! ;)

tcdan

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:54:04 AM »
I just found a similar problem with a drawing that used an xref. . . but I had to go to the drawing that was referenced to get rid of the unreferenced images.

daron

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:08:36 PM »
Images and xrefs are very similar. As far as memory consumption, I used to work at a place that used tons of images. I found that turning on the imageframe and unloading them helped me to navigate the drawing a lot easier. I think I had a lisp I developed that would load them as I selected them. The problem with freezing them is that you can't see the imageframe either. Of course, your solution to the problem is another issue of too many images. You don't work for ISI do you?

daron

"scanning the drawing"
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »
Split this topic and sent the rest of it here.