Author Topic: GPU issue when inserting blocks  (Read 1772 times)

rjohnson42

GPU issue when inserting blocks
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
Hello all,

I'm working with a developer on a C# plugin for AutoCAD that inserts blocks of a certain geometry to fill a geometry specified by the user. Within the last few months, we noticed an issue on our laptops (same make, model, hardware, etc.) where AutoCAD would either 1) crash, 2) insert the blocks successfully, but remove the dynamic controls for the block, or 3) insert the blocks successfully, but change all annotative objects within the drawing to not annotative.

Prior to completely closing, AutoCAD will provide these two error messages:
INTERNAL ERROR: !dbobji.cpp@720: eInvalidOpenState
or
FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exception at e735bfd0h

After installing Visual Studio on one of the laptops (developer could not recreate the issue due to different machine), we were to debug the issue which showed this error:
AutoCAD error: Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFE5B048363 (ntdll.dll) in acad.exe: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted (parameters: 0x00007FFE5B0A06B0).

I believe the issue is related to the GPU on the laptops as the same program runs just fine on a beefier system. The question I have for you all is if it's possible to reduce the demand on the GPU by changing or including something new in the transaction that adds the blocks? I hope this isn't too vague of a request.

Thank you in advance

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: GPU issue when inserting blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
With the eInvalidOpenState error it sounds more like a memory issue due to an entity not being opend/closed properly during modification.

Are you using a jig to insert the block? There could be something funky going on during the jigging process and if you have the database open for read instead of for write it could crash for example.

Have a look for all occurrences of opening objects (block tables, records and entities etc) and set them open ForWrite just for a test and see if the issue presents itself.

cheers, and welcome!
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien