Author Topic: Headstrong  (Read 1978 times)

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
Headstrong
« on: November 19, 2017, 05:14:56 PM »
Have a few headstrong peeps who refuse to bend to the will of the powers that be (follow standards)

Sooo....any ideas on how to creatively entice people to use templates / profiles / etc through programming without them feeling like they are being sabotaged? 

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: Headstrong
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
Automation is a good thing when it saves time and it does help to enforce make it easier to use standards BUT...when you have to do extra work just so they toe the line on what is essentially a 'personality' matter, that's wasting time/money that could be used to automate something more important.

I say fire their asses! (or give them a choice to toe the line first :) )

<edit>you shouldn't have to enforce standards is the crux of my reply, you set them for the project/office etc and the team complies or they can look elsewhere for employment!</edit>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:55:52 PM by MickD »
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Depends on the office.  I'm solely on the technical side, adherence and management issues are handled by others.  Thankfully.

As mentioned, automation should make it transparently easier and faster to do things the right way.  If they are doing something else, then they're taking longer, and producing inconsistent work.  Management (whoever holds that responsibility) needs to sit them down and get them working with the rest of the team.  At best, maybe they haven't been instructed properly; at worst, they may feel they have the right to make decisions that they don't.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
I like to yell like a pirate; swap the deck ye mangy dogs. Tends to shape things up real quick  :yay!:

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Try giving them some ownership in it.

Show them the templates and profiles, and how easy it is to meet standards with these tools. Show them the tools you've written that help as well.

Then ask them what else would be helpful to meet standards, and even offer to look into writing some of it up. If they contribute, they're more likely to want it to succeed.

After that, set up a time for auditing drawings, let your drafters know that their files will be audited and that they need to prioritize meeting standards using the tools available.

If you have any problem drafters after that, hire new ones and replace them.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
Sometimes you need the higher ups to push or enforce it.
Some people will avoid cognitive strain at almost all cost, so they will use process that they already familiar with which causes least amount of cognitive strain even if they know a different way is quicker and less error prone, but would require learning and therefore cognitive strain.

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys :) I was thinking something more along the lines of something that detects the profile they are using and then says "alert! Weve detected you are using unauthorized workflows and therefore are a virus to the company. To keep this from spreading your computer will shut down in 3....2....1 lmao