Author Topic: Presentation drawings/exhibits  (Read 4399 times)

DanB

• Bull Frog
Presentation drawings/exhibits
« on: November 17, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
End day Friday - just a shot in the dark here..

I work for a civil engineering firm. We need to generate some very low detailed exhibits for a client for a project. These exhibits need to show a pier extension/rehab. The problem is our drawings always turn out to loot to "engineery" for the public review. The boss would like me to find some software that we may utilize to either convert or possibly start from scratch learning, to generate a more "cartoony" appearance. Kind of vague, just fishing for some suggestions...anyone? I very briefly looked at Infraworks, is this a possibility?

Thanks.

ChrisCarlson

Re: Presentation drawings/exhibits
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
What software do you use? Most AutoDesk programs have a plot style resembling "sketching". I know Revit (potentially others) also do color sketches.

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »
Using AutoCAD Civil 3d 2018. I've inquired previously about the Napkin Sketch. I havent had much success getting this to look the way I envisioned on previous project. For this job I'm thinking the boss wants something in line with a rendering type drawing. I'm a little hesitant throwing that term out there though.

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
For now I think it is just a plan view, it may grow into wanting a render/3d/isometric if that is possible.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
The last time I looked at InfraWorks, it did what you are looking for, a pretty picture with minimal information fairly quickly.
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
What is your presentation format - TV?  Projector?  Paper-on-wall?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
What we have started doing is utilizing parcel styles with solids. Works quick and easy for us and it looks like a render.
Civil3D 2020

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
All the presentation exhibits would be printed/mounted on likely 24"x36" Here's a couple of what we refer to as "cartoony" images. These are just quick images I grabbed from Google. Again, our first go through is for discussion of general items, not too much detail. 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:15:22 PM »
yup, Infraworks is excellent at that type of thing....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

kirby

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
We often use Sketchup to create 'people friendly' presentation drawings.  Just convert C3D to autocad entities and export via dxf.  A lot of free 3D components (aka blocks) are available for populating your drawings (3D vehicles, trees, people, etc).

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
What are the printing options for Infraworks? Similar to AutoCAD with ability to plot to PDFs or directly to a plotter?

What would work flow be for Sketchup, layout some components in AutoCAD and export to Sketchup for creating finishing touches? What are print capabilities of Sketchup?

Appreciate all the replies.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:59 AM »
For this... basically copy all the proposed line work to a new layer. Convert all those entities on the new layer to parcels and change the parcel styles.
Civil3D 2020

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
This is a really good start to what our basic plan view may have for an appearance. What software is this done in? Is this Civil 3d parcels - which I am familiar working with. How are you getting the variable green colors for the trees, and nice looking vehicles. All of this is new to me.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
this is pretty basic. the blocks are images that I have traced and assigned hatches to them.
Civil3D 2020

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 08:00:15 PM »
You can do a lot with cad... use gradient hatching... tranparent hatching... import imagrs for things like clouds. . People... and trees... can get real creative. I personally use the adobe cc package... 60 bucks a month and get everything.... once you get the workflow down can create pretty contemporary and impressive stuff...just look up photoshop combined with any word like site plan..urban streetscape...etc