Author Topic: How was AU 2017?  (Read 2907 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
How was AU 2017?
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:59:44 AM »
Just curious what your take was on Autodesk University this year. Anything big other than the fact of centralizing all project related data and ESRI and Autodesk partnering up?
Civil3D 2020

DanB

• Bull Frog
Re: How was AU 2017?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
We haven't been in quite some time. A co-worker and I were discussing the fact we should ask the powers-at-be if we can attend next year. Would be good to hear some feedback on how recent years have been at AU??

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
Well enjoy these facts....

< ... >

I assumed this post meandered in here from another discussion.
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
Well enjoy these facts....

< ... >

I assumed this post meandered in here from another discussion.
HAHAHA ..........
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »
I had a good time presenting and co-presenting. Ate too much $h!t food and drank too much, but that's Vegas, amiright?  :)

Anyone??  :| 

No....?

Just me?    :-(

*curls up in fetal position, slowly rocking back and forth*

:cry:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Randall Culp

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
eh, it was ok.  Autodesk is pushing its other tools and leaving us old AutoCAD users to flutter in the wind, there wasn't a whole lot for us.  But if you were into Revit, or CIV3D, Inventor or any of the other verticals or making movies you were their target audience.  We're looking at moving into Advance Steel and those classes were pretty good. 

I think it was my last one.  I don't drink, work to hard for my money to gamble it away and I'm not going to drop $100 to see a show so Las Vegas is wasted on me.  Besides, I'm an old ... guy, ain't gonna be doing this much longer.
Randy Culp
(AKA CADaver)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
I went to Vegas on a very limited budget many years ago for an event. Found more than enough free and or cheap enough things for me and some friends to do, so we didn't have to spend a ton of money to have fun during down times.
CAD Tech

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:39 PM »
Lots of enthusiasm about the advancements in VR/AR automation, and workflows concerning reality capture....  but hard to jump on board when users complain about crashing every day...  I think they have a bubble growing that might pop (especially when companies are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in software). 

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
Any thoughts on sharing your "work" model on their cloud to share with other departments....
Civil3D 2020

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
Any thoughts on sharing your "work" model on their cloud to share with other departments....

Define "departments".  For example, our departments have rights to the correct servers.  It gets a big dicey when we need to go to another division (e.g. land/geomatics) as well as when different divisions exist through acquisition.  We already have the infrastructure in place so it doesn't make sense internally, but if I was in a smaller enterprise I would be looking hard at it.

Not a big deal for most things, very rarely does the bulk of what people are working on constitute "secret information".  Most land and building design work doesn't warrant that level of security, and its acceptable for the majority of mechanical and industrial designs as well.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}