Author Topic: add 2d annotation to a 3d model  (Read 9500 times)

Shay Gaghe

• Newt
add 2d annotation to a 3d model
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:27:51 AM »
Hi

Im planning to create the geometry in SketchUp and add annotation in Autocad. So exporting dwg from SketchUp and opening it in Autocad 2017 I have this dilemma I want to share with you.
I having a problem to add 2d annotation to a 3d model.
My workflow:
In the paperspace, I create a viewport and set the visual style to hidden with an orthographic view, I can see the model, everything is cool till this point.
How can I add text to the model in a way it will appear in all viewports?
Adding text in the model space won't allow it to be read since it’s a 3d object, adding text in paperspace doesn't make sense since I need to locate the point in all corresponding viewports.
What to do?

Please help
thanks
Shay

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: add 2d annotation to a 3d model
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »
Use multiple viewports...and dimension/annotate just like we did on paper....

Dimension each view, top,bottom, left, right, front, and back, as needed to fully constrain and or locate all elements of the model
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
One of the basic rules of drafting is only annotate something once.  Each additional instance is something else that needs to be updated, checked, and could possibly be wrong or contradict the others.

The technical problem here is you're using a shaded visual style.  These are more for presentation than drawing creation, so they aren't designed to handle things like text and dimensions only 3D solids.  If you want to get *really* clever, you could create duplicate viewports overlapping each other.  One would have a conventional visual style and only have the layers for text thawed; the other would have a presentation visual style and only have the layers for the objects thawed.  Ensure the text viewport is top-most for printing purposes.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
Actually one of the first rules of drafting; is can the thing you are drawing be built from the drawings.

If that can't be done your drawings have no value.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/