Author Topic: National cad standards  (Read 5899 times)

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
National cad standards
« on: November 04, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Anyone know if the national cad standard layers for all the disciplines are in excel form anywhere?

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
Re: National cad standards
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
1st where are you in the world ?

2nd cad standards are just all over the place even between government authorities wanting different things I can think of at least 3.

3rd common sense should prevail no random naming every one on same page. Layers colours linetypes etc. mspace xrefs layouts.

4th Google Cad standards I know on Cadutor there was some stuff.

Lastly had a state authority tell us some stuff on a traffic plan was wrong and looked at plans done for them and it was the same as ours so we will not change and will argue check your own in house rules first. Problem is they are so old school using basicly 2 colours cyan and Black.

A man who never made a mistake never made anything

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
Found what I need, but thanks!

1st where are you in the world ?

2nd cad standards are just all over the place even between government authorities wanting different things I can think of at least 3.

3rd common sense should prevail no random naming every one on same page. Layers colours linetypes etc. mspace xrefs layouts.

4th Google Cad standards I know on Cadutor there was some stuff.

Lastly had a state authority tell us some stuff on a traffic plan was wrong and looked at plans done for them and it was the same as ours so we will not change and will argue check your own in house rules first. Problem is they are so old school using basicly 2 colours cyan and Black.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »

Don't you just love it when a client dictates "Thou shalt ALWAYS use our settings, lest they be rejected on submittal.", then when you receive requested DWG files they don't follow those settings?   :grumpy:
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
And.....

after all this time IT still is NOT the 'national' cad 'standard'
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Lmao...good point

And.....

Randall Culp

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
And.....

It never will be as long as it is ONLY an architectural standard, the rest of us don't need 75 layers pertaining to doors and windows
Randy Culp
(AKA CADaver)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
It never will be as long as it is ONLY an architectural standard, the rest of us don't need 75 layers pertaining to doors and windows

... and they stop charging so dam much for it.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »

True...

I argue that to gain acceptance and to increase its footprint it should have been released for FREE.
Only charging for it AFTER it had market saturation, but their fees are the hurdle many don't want to cross....so there it is.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 04:59:53 PM »

True...

I argue that to gain acceptance and to increase its footprint it should have been released for FREE. their fees are the hurdle many don't want to cross....so there it is.

I think I just heard hell freeze over...
(I actually feel the same about this part. Didn't think I would ever admit to agreeing with you.)
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
Meh.  If they switched from free to paid-access, then the complaints would switch to "extortion", "lock in", or other popular term-of-the-day for "I want it therefore it should be free".  At that point it may as well be paid-only in the first place.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
Meh.  If they switched from free to paid-access, then the complaints would switch to "extortion", "lock in", or other popular term-of-the-day for "I want it therefore it should be free".  At that point it may as well be paid-only in the first place.

True,  I just cant see how they ever convinced anyone to PAY for a standard that really was NOT the standard.

Very backward thinking in many ways.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
You mean the same way people pay for software which is not the standard?  It's done, because it meets their needs and (if they've done their homework) it's more financially viable than developing their own from scratch.  Being perceived as any kind of "official standard" doesn't enter into it.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
You mean the same way people pay for software which is not the standard?  It's done, because it meets their needs and (if they've done their homework) it's more financially viable than developing their own from scratch.  Being perceived as any kind of "official standard" doesn't enter into it.

Actually no, the software is a tool.

This other thing is a group trying to establish some cad standard, without really consulting the industries they are attempting to foist it off on.
Just because they are want to call it 'the standard' doesn't make it so.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Randall Culp

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »
"without really consulting the industries they are attempting to foist it off on."
We have a winner!!
Randy Culp
(AKA CADaver)