Author Topic: Aligning families  (Read 44 times)

hudster

• Gator
Aligning families
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:58 am »
Say I align a family to a wall, and the architect subsequently deletes that wall, is there a way I can get Revit to flag that up?
Kind of like when elements become unhosted, I can go to reconcile hosting and see whats orphaned.

I'm trying to talk my department boss into ditching face based families and go for level based families with an offset parameter.

Our current project had a major redesign, and when the levels moved, and walls/ceilings were changed we had over 15,000 unhosted objects and every system broke when the ducts/pipes moved and the hosted families didn't.
If we had level based families, it would have been a whole lot easier, but he can't see past having the model report what changed.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Re: Aligning families
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:42:05 am »
I think if you "lock" the family to the item you are aligning to it will whine a bit but I've never tried it. However, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I would try and get the other trades to tell you what they've changed AND/OR I would use a "drawing compare" thing to determine what's different. DWFs have a `dwg compare' where you can overlay two floor plans to determine what's different.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:43:45 am »
If the wall is in a linked project, then you would have to copy/monitor the wall in order to host your family on it. Then when the wall gets modified/removed you would get a notice that it has changed.
Revit 2018, AMEP 2018 64bit Win 10

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:42 am »
If the wall is in a linked project, then you would have to copy/monitor the wall in order to host your family on it. Then when the wall gets modified/removed you would get a notice that it has changed.

If you want a notification of a change of a wall, do you really have to copy it? You can host to linked walls.

Wouldn't monitoring (only) the wall give you the same notifications and eliminate the overhead of having the copied elements in your model?

hudster, we are currently moving away from hosted MEP families of all categories. The problems that occur when the architects don't play well in the sandbox are too much compared to doing some old fashioned coordination.
CAD Tech

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:19:18 pm »
bluebeam... overlay feature.. for pdf output.. works better than anything else..

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:52:02 am »
Its architects not playing well with others that is the reason I want to change, I'm fed up having to rebuild systems or rehost thousands of elements because they don't follow the BEP and agreed practices.
But until I can get a way of "Reporting" changes/deletions I'm stuck having to fix things week in week out
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue