Author Topic: BIM Better or worse  (Read 278 times)

hudster

• Gator
BIM Better or worse
« on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:51 am »
After using BIM for the last 4 years on a wide variety of projects, all I'm seeing is more work, taking a lot longer and with more responsibility.
I'm not sure it is valuable to my company ife.

How about yours?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:33:18 am by hudster »
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

alterego

• Newt
Re: BIM Better or worse
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:40:57 am »
We are in the first full year of BIM here... and there still seems to be a lot of confusion as to what people want and to what level. 

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:31 am »
better for us.. more work.. less phone call says " hey this does not fit.." in auto cad 2d i am scared when i send plans out.. but yes more work but not a bad thing..

Master_Shake

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:00:08 am »
There is a reason it was the buzzword a few years ago. I think the concept and overall intent of BIM is good but on normal, run of the mill projects the time investment just does not seem worth it. Also it creates coordination headaches for smaller firms.

I'm curious how many building owners actually use the finished BIM package during their maintenance and repairs?

MSTG007

• Water Moccasin
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:22:34 am »
How often do you guys coordinate with Civil Site guys? What do they usually deliver to you guys?

We are not really using BIM here yet.
Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2017

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:20:27 am »
If we extend the idea of BIM a bit (i.e. not limited to just buildings or Revit) and consider that it's a process rather than a program or file format, then we've been doing it for some time.  Working with data-rich models has solved a lot of traditional problems of coordination, accuracy, and checking.  It does involve a little more responsibility up-front and restricts the designers a bit (they have to do things correctly, not how they feel like it should be done), but overall it's been a benefit to us and our clients.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:16:40 am »
How often do you guys coordinate with Civil Site guys? What do they usually deliver to you guys?

We are not really using BIM here yet.

BIM (or whatever you mean with it) did not make anything more simple for civil/infra. In contrary, it introduced a whole bunch of conversions. When I comes to 'using more 3d' equals 'BIM' I will say i'm glad people want it and happy providing views/visuals/insights with whatever I need. But stop asking to put it in ONE file, IFC, mandates, protocols, etc.. Managerstalk like there is a thing like 'a single source of truth' really pisses me off! With 'this thing called BIM' it even matters more who are the pilots flying 2d/3d/ other resources. The plane ✈ can crash a lot more easy than staying on flat ground...

O.. And take my advice, Revit was not meant to do civil (coordination)..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:22:39 am by lamarn »
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

MSTG007

• Water Moccasin
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:33 am »
Interesting... Thanks for the thought...
Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite 2017

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 08:25:42 am »

"..  In 2017 you might think that being able to import and export files correctly shouldn’t be a hassle, but it came in as the second most common complaint among CAD users. Rasmussen explained that when CAD users are importing and exporting files, the primary problem is that the 3D object loses features—it has no parameters, no intelligence—and is no longer parametric. Sometimes the object is incomplete or just a partial translation, meaning that surfaces are missing. .."

This is more than one persons reality in 'BIM'.
Was reading it today at Engineering.com
Like to read other opinions as well.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:22:26 am »
From a design perspective, yeah - trying to everything in one package, in one file format, isn't going to work.  Piping design software isn't going to do structural design well; mechanical design software isn't going to do architectural software well; architectural software has zero need for spec-driven piping design.  Most of them have little reason to do 2D schematics.

"Single source of truth" is not about everything in one application/one format though.  That's where review and collaboration software comes in, bringing in objects from the many different sources along with the intelligence.  From there data from the many different sources can be reviewed in context.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »
Two words.... "Project Quantum"

But in the meantime... The AEC Collection makes it so much easier to transfer data back-and-forth between InfraWorks to Civil 3D to Revit back to Civil 3D to Navisworks to Revit to...
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »

But in the meantime... The AEC Collection makes it so much easier to transfer data back-and-forth between InfraWorks to Civil 3D to Revit back to Civil 3D to Navisworks to Revit to...

yeah, in reality that transfer of data 'should' never have been a problem/challenge in the first place, i.e. without any need for Infraworks at all
mostly a solution looking for a problem, that autodesk created all by themselves
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:27 pm »
Two words.... "Project Quantum"...
One word :Marketing
.. Or two.. : Promiseware

The AEC Collection makes it so much easier to transfer data back-and-forth between InfraWorks to Civil 3D to Revit back to Civil 3D to Navisworks to Revit to...

Easier than.. what?
What wonderfileformat to use here?

(at the end ALL leads to DWG delivery, at least here at my end)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:25:23 pm by lamarn »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 02:31:43 pm »

Don't ask me questions without answers.

MickD

• Gator
  • I don't need a job, I need Money!!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 06:57:20 pm »
BIM is a great idea on the face of it BUT... IFC is fundamentally broken.

The problem with using IFC is it's too specific from a data perspective and not general enough with the geometry. The IFC classes list is huge and still doesn't cater for all feature types so it will be an ever growing problem and CAD vendors will always struggle to keep up. I've yet to have a smooth import of an IFC file from another CAD package without having to build some sort of mapping file.
That's the problem, you should be able to at least import the file and be able to view the model without having to worry about the data, the data is just data attached to the entity.

Another part of the problem is no one uses a schema for data validation, this is very important otherwise you will get any old crud from a consultant that has either too much or not enough data for the project as a whole. The project management team should create or use an agreed upon schema that gets handed to all consultants at the start of the job.

Then there's the problem of mixing design and engineering data, who fills in what parts of the entity data and who is responsible? Currently, there is no way to control this so we end up with an IFC file from each supplier and they could all be different because there is no schema!
You 'should' be able to submit a schema validated file then the project lead can overlay everyone's data to create the final validated file to be of any use in the future. Currently, it's only good for passing models around in a neutral format for reviewing and maybe clash detection etc but that's missing the real point of BIM and even that's broken.

BIM is a great idea and it initially creates more work for the drafty but the real payoff is in the richer data for processes further up the line such as asset management. At the moment, the BIM files being created are almost useless once the project is built.

"A language that doesn’t have everything is actually easier to program in than some that do."

— Dennis M. Ritchie