Author Topic: Fillet with Polyline to Arc  (Read 3304 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Fillet with Polyline to Arc
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
How do you guys get around creating a fillet from an arc to a polyline? I know there are several ways, currently I usually explode both lines and connect them. Or I create the selected arc a polyline then, fillet them together.

Just getting some ideas here. . .
Civil3D 2020

ChrisCarlson

Re: Fillet with Polyline to Arc
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
I think it was 2016 when they allowed fillet to be applied to arc entities. They are treated like line entities and the final result will be three, separate arc entities.

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:15 AM »
How do you guys get around creating a fillet from an arc to a polyline? I know there are several ways, currently I usually explode both lines and connect them. Or I create the selected arc a polyline then, fillet them together.

Just getting some ideas here. . .

I do the same...hate it lol

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:19:49 AM »
I have not looked yet, but I wonder if there is a routine that can do the exploding of the polyline, then fillet it and be done... Sure saves an extra step. lol.
Civil3D 2020

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:31 AM »
I hate to bring this back up. Fillet"ing" polylines with radiuses then exploding them is alittle more tedious anymore.

Is there a way to select a line or polyline, exploded it then fillet it together so its not a continuous polyline?

Good example. Laying out parking islands. The red line is a "line". The white is a polyline. I can not get it to do a 5' radius to where the white polyline and red line intersect. I usually have to explode the polyline to get it to work.

Thanks for your thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:32:57 AM by MSTG007 »
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
could I see a wblock of just that geometry?

I think I know whats happening there...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
Here you go.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
as suspected the issue is that the intersection of that 'line' and the polyline creates a situation where the fillet is tangent into the arc its attached to....

the solution....potentially

explode the polyline....then set your fillet command to No Trim....this will create the desired geometry and NOT join the entities.

you will then need to trim/extend to 'clean' things up

if the fillet were happening where it could be tangent to both line segments and not along the arc
then you wouldn't need to do this, but I know one cant control how parking lot or other geometry aligns....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
When using BricsCAD the final result depends on where you select the polyline. Clicking on the curved portion gives the desired result. Clicking on the straight segment does not.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »
When using BricsCAD the final result depends on where you select the polyline. Clicking on the curved portion gives the desired result. Clicking on the straight segment does not.

I wonder if there is an underlying difference in how (what direction) the curve(s) are defined in BricsCAD vs Autocad.
IIR  Autocad defines all arcs counter-clockwise by default.  Is this the same in BricsCAD, or do they define arcs Clockwise?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
The curved segment in the drawing is part of a polyline. But arcs in BC are defined the same as in AC (of course).

The attached image clarifies BricsCAD's behavior. On the left the result if you select the final straight segment of the polyline. On the right the result if you select the curved segment preceding the final segment. IMO this behavior is completely logical and as it should be.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »

I recall noticing a similar behavior with Vanilla AutoCAD post-2016. It's a very neat feature.