Author Topic: Architect Modifying Levels  (Read 299 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Architect Modifying Levels
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:07:23 am »
I just got the heads up that the levels and the project base point in a project are going to be modified. Our MEP models are copy/monitoring the architects levels.

I've only had to deal with this once before early in my Revit career and it did not go well.

Any suggestions?
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Architect Modifying Levels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:01:10 am »
I just got the heads up that the levels and the project base point in a project are going to be modified. Our MEP models are copy/monitoring the architects levels.

I've only had to deal with this once before early in my Revit career and it did not go well.

Any suggestions?

Go on a short vacation; it'll be sorted when you get back.

ON a serious note, back up all those project files to somewhere safe....
Then IF/When the edits don't go as expected, you can do it manually from the backups.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:39:19 am »
will b fine.. reconcile location when done.. accept changes when prompted for levels..

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:12 pm »
Some levels are getting changed in relation to the others in different parts of the building. For example, Wing C's elevation is changing 6" in relation to Wing A. I'm fairly certain I am going to end up with a lot of disconnects.
CAD Tech

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 12:51:22 pm »
then do ths.. select all levels.. click Stop Monitoring... then after reload link manual move them and re monitor them one by one.. this way will not automatically change or cause problem.s..

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »
I say Damm The Levels!  Full Speed Ahead!!!!!  :uglystupid2:
Don't ask me questions without answers.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:54 pm »
So, I experimented with splitting up my HVAC model and stripping out extraneous levels hoping to get everything in an area associated with the appropriate level. Unfortunately, when a level is deleted the objects associated with those levels also gets deleted.
CAD Tech

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »
why r u deleting levels.. dont do that just remove monitoring and move manually..

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
I was hoping that the elements would rehost themselves to a remaining level.

I will try the manual move. I'm away from Revit until tomorrow. Do all the elements hosted to the moving with the levels change with it or does it depend on the type of element? For example, when changing the associated level for ductwork the offset changes and the duct does not move within the model but duct fittings retain their offset setting and move to that distance from the newly assigned level.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »
I agree with rvhwlc. Remove monitors and copy monitor again and check the box to reuse levels of same position and name. Done.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »
Problem is some levels are not in the same position. Not so done... Will try but think I think I am going to get a bunch of disconnects for a variety of reasons.
CAD Tech

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 04:49:52 am »
We had the same issue a while back and we went about it as if it was a new project.
We made a copy of the project, (Just in case)

We then unloaded the old levels model, attached the new model with a different name, we then un copy/monitored our levels, then moved them and associated equipment to the new levels, making sure everything was ok, (well as ok as it could be).
We then unattached new model, replaced the old one with the new one, re copy-monitored the levels, using the reuse levels and name option thingy

It went ok, we had a few things which went wrong, but that was mostly down to the Architect deleting all the ceilings and redrawing them all as it was "easier" for him, almost 15,000 orphaned objects  :cry:
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:48 am »
So, the changes went much smoother than anticipated.

I moved the project base point like the architect did to make the appropriate level at 0'-0" and then let coordination review move the four or five levels that were changing just to see what happened. I was extremely surprised and relieved at the lack of errors.

My systems are all still intact. Only a handful of disconnects were reported and those were mostly having to do with duct taps. Some of my flex duct went a little wonky too but those won't take long to fix.

Whew...
CAD Tech