Author Topic: licensing conflict / issue  (Read 2087 times)

jumpy

• Newt
licensing conflict / issue
« on: August 24, 2017, 05:12:10 AM »
Hi all,

Not sure where to go with this; I've spoken to our reseller here and they're going to take it up with autodesk, but I thought I'd see what you guys think.

We have 2 license seats here.

I have Autocad 2018 on a perpetual license

My colleague has autcad LT 2018 on a subscription.

So we have two separate licenses, software keys and all of that jazz.
As the account admin, I have control over the software distribution and ordering etc.

Now to the issue: Though my colleague only has access to autocad LT 2018, at the beginning of the week he checked the autodesk desktop app for updates. Without actually looking at what he was installing, he clicked on all of the buttons to 'update' his software. About an hour later he tells me he has full autocad 2018 on his computer...
I check this and it turns out his autodesk desktop app has installed full autocad on his machine when he clicked all the buttons. As we do not pay for 2 full licenses I checked the serial numbers. Turns out he's using the same serial number as me. So we are running 2 concurrent versions of the software with the same serial number.

My account management page with autodesk does not show my colleague having access to the full version; he has LT only.
Our reseller suggested that we uninstall the duplicate copy of autocad 2018 from my colleagues machine whilst they contact autodesk to find out what is going on.
I'm assuming some problem with autodesk and their distribution management. Have any of you had anything similar happen and if so what was done about it?
Acad 2018 / LT2018

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
Re: licensing conflict / issue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Could your colleague's desktop app, be signed into Autodesk using your credentials?

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
Corporate credentials, using the ability to use the license on a second computer.  That's within the EULA, although not in your specific situation.

Might want to have a look at how they're getting into the Autodesk support system, they should have separate credentials attached to your account.  Then, as contract admin, you should be able to control what they have access to.  For example my Autodesk account is attached to our corporate one; I used to have full access (that's my role, after all) but that was recently removed.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »
That's the odd thing; he signs in with his own details to the acad desktop app by default.

I'm the contract admin, and he just has 'user access' according to the account management page.

I only noticed this issue when he told me about the different version after I questioned a 'thank you for registering' email I got from autodesk.

He still has the 'click to install' on his desktop app. I think I'll contact our reseller again after the bank holiday this weekend and see if they have any further information. I might raise a ticket with autodesk as well.
 :blink:
Acad 2018 / LT2018

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
AutoDesk seems to base originating IP addresses in an attempt to "link" accounts together.

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »
^^

Interesting, I'll mention this when I speak to the reseller next week. Thanks.
Acad 2018 / LT2018

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:09 AM »
We can install the same single user version of AutoCAD on multiple machines, but we are not allowed to use both at the same time, so I can work from home
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »
Just an update to this, if a tardy one.

I contacted our reseller, relayed the problem and some of the suggestions from here and they seemed to be somewhat concerned over the licensing mismatch and said they would take it up with autodesk and get back to me.

Anyway, about a week later the doppelgänger disappeared from his desktop app. No feedback or explanation given.

Gonna chalk this up to autodesk dropping the ball somewhere.
Acad 2018 / LT2018