Author Topic: Extents of Levels - Again  (Read 146 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Extents of Levels - Again
« on: July 10, 2017, 11:46:49 am »
Same issue as a previous thread of mine but new situation.

I've got another project with varying multiple floor levels in parts of the building. I just went through the exercise of rotating the project. I'm afraid I may not have done it right but it's too late to undo and redo.

What I've done is reset the project North 270 degrees relative to the original which aligned with true North. After that I rotated our models and annotation. Copy/monitored column lines did not work as expected and I accepted the fact that I would have to redo them. It was at that point that I should have realized that the (unseen) levels would behave similarly and not go along for the ride correctly.

Initial searches revealed that there may be a better, although not very intuitive, procedure for rotating project North in existing models. I can imagine that my naive method could severely break a model that has been developed at all. This project is in a very early state and the the things that broke were either easily fixed or just deleted.

What I'm looking for is a way to rotate the existing copy/monitored levels or a way to replace them without too much work.
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
Re: Extents of Levels - Again
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:53:30 pm »
I think that I'm starting to get my head around this.

The extent of the levels can be reset to be maximized to the extents of the model. The individual levels can be confined to the appropriate corresponding extents of the areas by using scope boxes.

Arrrrgh... So much time spent researching this and finally found a thread from 2010 explaining it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:49:22 pm by Rob... »
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:21 am »
Extents of levels so that display correctly is an aggravating issue for me.  And I don't rotate models.   

Please post link here so that others may benefit.
Don't ask me questions without answers.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:48:00 am »
I can't find the thread. It's over at RevitForum.org. It was more about rotating the project than about resetting the levels.

Basically what I did was select all the levels in the projects by picking one and then selecting all in the project. Right click menu has "Reset the 3D Extents". Now, one would think this would give you all the levels' ends to be lined up. They weren't, but it did get them to show in my sections.

Scope boxes were already present in the model so I picked the ones that corresponded with each scope box and in the properties box under extents assigned the appropriate scope box. Really quick and relatively painless but they still needed adjusting after the fact because not all of them would crop to the scope boxes.

The problem still is that scope boxes are limited in shape. The levels in the projects I've been doing are not rectangles. Those are the architects scope boxes. I would have aligned them to the building and still might. In fact, I might blow them all away and create my own.

BTW, this also works for grids.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:01:37 am by Rob... »
CAD Tech