Author Topic: Duct Tag Types  (Read 154 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Duct Tag Types
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:04:52 pm »
Our duct tag family needs more types to cover all the different permutations of size, system, rise/drop (to next level), alternate leader arrow heads, comments, etc. As you can imagine that adds up to a lot of types real fast. I've got a solid base that works well. I just need more options.

I'd like this to be as user friendly as possible.

How many types is too many and I should consider adding an additional family or two to make the types more manageable at the user level?
CAD Tech

hudster

• Gator
Re: Duct Tag Types
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:51:38 am »
I'm of the opinion that you need as many types as you need.

We use different tags depending on the job, some jobs just want the size and system type tagged, some want the duct velocity, some want pressure drop, the list is endless.
The of all those types we have arrow, oblique and dot options, and of those we have left and right justified.

All of these tags are useful to someone, for us it's the client requirements that drive it.
What we don't do is pre-load them into our template, at project startup we determine what types we need and load those for use.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 07:36:58 am »
You load only the ones you need? Are you using a type table or do you have multiple families?

If you are loading them per project, don't you have to assign the arrowheads?

I wanted to start pre-loading my tags in the template for this purpose only. We are trying to keep the templates lean and mean.
CAD Tech

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:09:32 am »
You load only the ones you need? Are you using a type table or do you have multiple families?
We have multiple familes with multiple types, so for example on family is called DUCT_TAG - SYS-ABVR-COMMENT, this has 6 types, Left & Right Arrow, Left and Right Dot and LEFT and Right Oblique.

If you are loading them per project, don't you have to assign the arrowheads?

Yes but only once per project, and to be honest its a very quick thing to do, better to keep the template clean andspend a minute setting an arrow once per tag, then have them all loaded and pre-set.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue