Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 47832 times)

e2002

• Mosquito
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
Theswamp 论坛,应该是这个世界上技术第一的AutoLISP社区了,这么多年以来,对AutoLISP程序员来说,这个论坛是个极好的学习技术的地方。非常感谢论坛各位LISP专家,让我还有很多中国的AutoLISP爱好者学到了很多...希望theswamp论坛继续存在和发展...

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »
Theswamp 论坛,应该是这个世界上技术第一的AutoLISP社区了,这么多年以来,对AutoLISP程序员来说,这个论坛是个极好的学习技术的地方。非常感谢论坛各位LISP专家,让我还有很多中国的AutoLISP爱好者学到了很多...希望theswamp论坛继续存在和发展...

Quote from: google translator
Theswamp forum, which should be the world's first technology autoLISP community, for so many years, for AutoLISP programmers, this forum is an excellent place to learn technology. Thank you very much for the forums LISP experts, so I have a lot of Chinese AutoLISP enthusiasts have learned a lot ... hope theswamp forum continues to exist and develop ...

Nice!!
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Anyone know of, or have experience with, quality web hosting companies or dedicated server companies? I believe that is the direction  we are going in. That way if and when I want to give this place to another dedicated person to run I can just hand over the password.

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Unfortunately I cannot recommend bluehost anymore. They were bought out awhile ago and sport different business and customer relation principles I find disturbing to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:26:14 AM by MP »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Crookedmonk

• Newt
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Mark,
As a rookie here, I find theswamp, the most valuable tools I have seen. Yes Google has the same information, but most of that information has links back to here. In the 3-4 months since I have been here, I have read almost every forum, and continue to read every day. I have found more tools here during this time.
Not only that I have found everyone here is beyond friendly (like scary Georgia friendly, if your are from Mass. you would understand).

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
I've gone thru quite a few in the past Mark and have little good to say about the dreamhosts, directnics and godaddies (shudder) of the web world. Until Bluehost. They may not be the cheapest but they've been reliable, prompt with software upgrades and bonus, their control panel is not a nightmare. On funding and/or supporting the swamp on some other server please know I'm in ftw.
Thank you sir. I'll give them a look-see. Not to worried about the price. I'm happy to pay for good/great.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
Mark,
As a rookie here, I find theswamp, the most valuable tools I have seen. Yes Google has the same information, but most of that information has links back to here. In the 3-4 months since I have been here, I have read almost every forum, and continue to read every day. I have found more tools here during this time.
Not only that I have found everyone here is beyond friendly (like scary Georgia friendly, if your are from Mass. you would understand).
LOL

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
Anyone know of, or have experience with, quality web hosting companies or dedicated server companies? I believe that is the direction  we are going in. That way if and when I want to give this place to another dedicated person to run I can just hand over the password.
While there are limitations with it, I use Weebly, but I don't think that would probably work as well for something like TheSwamp.

I could see going in a couple of directions here:
Using a webhosting service, there are a lot of benefits in simplicity with this option, but quite often comes with a high cost and limited scalability if you have more users than the system can handle.

The other option would be to use something like AWS to run your own web server in the cloud. This would be a bit more complicated to setup at first, but once running would be the same as running a web server now. The advantage here is you can setup AutoScaling so if there is a heavy load on the server at any given time it can scale up by adding additional servers and then automatically scale down when demand is lower with this option you could be paying as little as $15-$20 a month including storage costs, depending on the amount of storage needed of course.

DISCLAIMER: We use AWS for everything, even running our workstations technically (yes we run AutoCAD and Revit on Remote Desktops on AWS), so I am a bit biased. Please reach out to me if you would be interested in learning more, it really could work well to ensure scalability when it is needed and that you aren't paying for what you aren't using when it isn't needed. Many large companies are going this route for their webhosting, as are some smaller companies due to the flexibility it offers. I know this sounds like an advertisement for AWS, but it isn't intended to be, I just want you to be able to consider all options.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
Wow, had know idea AWS could do all that. Very cool. And you can create an account for free.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »
Anyone know of, or have experience with, quality web hosting companies or dedicated server companies? ..

I've also heard good things about Bluehost.

I've been using Dreamhost for a few different sites now for 12 years, and haven't had any issues with them. I'm on a shared host plan, so the performance isn't as great as the swamp, but they've been reliable.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2017, 08:50:18 AM »
Wow, had know idea AWS could do all that. Very cool. And you can create an account for free.
Account setup and LAMP stack running. Seems pretty straight forward so far. Need to look into http credentials.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
Account setup and LAMP stack running. Seems pretty straight forward so far. Need to look into http credentials.
Sounds like a fun learning project Mark.

Thanks again for all your work around here. :-)

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
Yeah, AWS can do a lot, I believe if you have an image of your current server you can even use that to launch an EC2 instance that would essentially be exactly what you have now or at least as of when the image was made. Obviously you would have to do some Security settings on AWS and some DNS reconfiguration, but other than that it could be fairly seamless.

And depending on the size server you need you might even get the entire first year completely free for what you are doing and let me know if you go that route and need some help setting it up, but overall this one should be fairly straight forward for you.

And really we haven't even scratched the surface of what all AWS can do.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »
Yeah, AWS can do a lot, I believe if you have an image of your current server you can even use that to launch an EC2 instance that would essentially be exactly what you have now or at least as of when the image was made. Obviously you would have to do some Security settings on AWS and some DNS reconfiguration, but other than that it could be fairly seamless.

And depending on the size server you need you might even get the entire first year completely free for what you are doing and let me know if you go that route and need some help setting it up, but overall this one should be fairly straight forward for you.

And really we haven't even scratched the surface of what all AWS can do.
Thanks for the offer I will probably take you up on it. :)

I believe now that i have a LAMP running I can do everything i need. I've got PUTTY setup so i can SSH into the server. That will allow me to upload all the files. The only thing i'm not sure of just yet is how to install software, if possible at all. I get my https certificate from Let's Encrypt Authority and you use certbot to set them up for the web server. Doubt they have that already installed but i'll look.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »
No problem, if I can't answer it, my IT assistant should be able to do so. Although, I am not exactly sure what LAMP is, we do everything through the EC2 servers, that way they are full computer systems that we can install whatever we need to on, again my assistant probably would know.