Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 47830 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
If you also don't want to keep ownership, the best thing you can do is to hand it over to a community foundation.
I would do something like that, yes.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
From the standpoint of one of my businesses, I'm not quite sure what I'd do without the Swamp, as you have been hosting our Subversion Repository for going on 9 years now. I would definitely help out with the acquisition of a new server, should you decide to keep hosting it.
Holy cow, 9 years! I had no idea it has been that long. Happy to help Jeff. Glad its still working for you. :)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:16 AM »
I vote to keep it if you/we can afford it.  I have had so much help here over the past however long I have been coming here...

I think possibly one reason it has slowed (especially in the non-coding/non CAD boards) is the economy has still to fully recover... people are made to do more in less time, so we don't always get as much time as we would like.

I have made some damn good friends here, so would like to say thanks Mark, that in itself is priceless.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »
I don't mind maintaining this place if it is still useful. I really don't. It can get very aggravating though when my ISP can not fix their damn problems in a timely manor.
While an annoyance when the site is down, we survive just fine.  A cloud hosted server would be a remedy for that.  My current part-time position has most of its servers cloud based.
What can I / we do to make this place more useful? Drive more traffic to theswamp.org?
I know the place is quiet, but is this something that really needs to happen?  I'd understand it would be good if it was generating revenue for you.
Should we get ride of some of the old forums lying around?
This might not be a bad idea.  Lots of areas for posting might get confusing for people lurking through.
Can we make it more social? Everyone loves social sites now days. :)
While this is what I mainly visit TheSwamp for (and nostalgia) I don't believe that is what is needed.  I think the people on this site are a welcoming elite group of programmers and support.  Just let them keep doing that.  Let this be a reservoir of knowledge.
I can't really make the place look a lot different.
You don't need to make this place look any different.  It's TheSwamp.  It's loved.

I haven't CAD'd since 2008.  I haven't done any types of programming in quite some time.  I don't count the easy VBA scripts in Excel as programming.

I do try to visit daily (except weekends).  I check back regularly during the morning.  I know if I had a question, yo this place will solve it.

I would like to see it stay around.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
I have made some damn good friends here, so would like to say thanks Mark, that in itself is priceless.
I have too! :)

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »
I'm here daily.  I find it invaluable from a developer perspective, there's a lot of questions and answers that go deeper than at the Autodesk forums.
Then should we trim all  the forums back and just concentrate on the programming?

There are a lot of sections that I've never ventured into, but it seems most are used to some extent. There really is no replacement to this site, so whatever happens, we really need to keep it online in one way or another.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
How many sp3lling errors are there?
In this thread collectively or in Krush's posts as a whole?  :-D :-D
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
I have too! :)
Same
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
I'm just here to pick up chicks.

Marc'Antonio Alessi

• Swamp Rat
  • Marco
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
From 2006 and especially since 2013, when I abandoned the Autodesk Community Forum, I visit this forum several times a day and find it indispensable for both my work and personal pleasure. Thanks to everyone for what you do.
... and apologize for my English ...

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »
I'd like to send a BIG thanks to you, Mark.  This community has been so helpful to me over the past 13 years (Date Registered:    February 02, 2004, 11:13:11 am).  The willingness of EVERYONE here to assist in learning has been wonderful.  Thank you to our community :)

I would be willing to donate/pay for the use of this site just as I am willing to pay for the use of music streaming apps (I will be making a donation next week, at least).  TheSwamp is more rewarding than listening to the same music over and over.  I understand that money doesn't solve it all, as it is also your time that is invested, but you have incurred all the costs for OUR learning & socialization, a little payback is in order!

My participation has dropped due to workload and strict overwatch from the higher-ups!  I used to have time to code at home and get my ideas going, but that time has given way to family (not complaining about that at all!).  I probably play too much online chess instead of more productive things. I guess what I'm saying is that I actually do have the time to be more active here...I just need to make it routine again.

Thank you, again.  TheSwamp has been the only website I've consistently visited for 13 years.  I hope to have many more.

Cheers, Mark!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
but you have incurred all the costs for OUR learning & socialization, a little payback is in order!
Not all. There has been, and still are, many donations. :)

This community has been so helpful to me over the past 13 years
Same here!

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »
Mark, Like everyone has said. It totally be missed. Like most have said, Its just one of things you try to do regularly. Checking in, searching for how to's or (my favorite), creating ideas to keep everyone sharp!

If theswamp does have to go down. It will be missed a lot. Its hard to believe its been the 14 years. For myself, if it must go. I would love a way to save this site for future references. "offline" type of thing. But if you decide to move it to the cloud. That too is not a bad idea. I do hear everyone here, is finding it harder time wise to put in because of other priorities in their lives. Like mentioned before. Family is a big part.

Again, I appreciate your dedication to this place. A lot of Awesome memories. Whatever you decide. Thanks for you have done to now!
Civil3D 2020

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »
The swamp is an oasis treasured by diverse visitors from around the globe. It's value to me is truly difficult to articulate. Vast is a good word. Its preservation strategy must be paramount by more than one man, acknowledging the swamp's vision is credited to but one. Thank you Mark, words fail me.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
The swamp is an oasis treasured by diverse visitors from around the globe. It's value to me is truly difficult to articulate. Vast is a good word. Its preservation strategy must be paramount by more than one man, acknowledging the swamp's vision is credited to but one. Thank you Mark, words fail me.

Extraordinarily well put  :yes: