Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 47824 times)

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
I certainly find this place valuable, and would like to see it stick around. With a smaller community there's more connection, somehow the answers I get here carry more weight than answers I get from Stack Overflow or other forums.

It's cool that you host it, and the performance is top-notch as far as I can tell, but I'm also surprised you put up with the headache of it. I wouldn't be upset if it moved to a hosting provider, especially if it's easier to maintain.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
I find the knowledge gap is increasing  between me and many people here and many of my comments or questions go unanswered. but this has been my salvation on more than a  few occasions.. and would be sad to see it go away, but am not in a position where I could subscribe.. suffering adds would just  be a necessary evil
I do miss the busier social banter, my guess is there is just more competition now.

I was drawn here because of the patience and acceptance .. Swampers do not have the elitist attitudes I see so much of the time..

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
The friends we've made on/in this little safe harbor in the vast internet...
:cry2:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
.... and the performance is top-notch ....

Yes, Mark. I meant to mention this. The performance IS top notch. I always use the Swamp as my benchmark for how ALL forums should work.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
Mark, your dedication to this site the past 14 years is absolutely amazing. While I no longer participate here on a daily basis, I do still look in every day. My current job and multiple business dealings have been taking more and more of the 'free' time I used to spend here helping and learning.

The Swamp would certainly be missed if it were to no longer exist, and leave an empty place in many of our daily rituals.

From the standpoint of one of my businesses, I'm not quite sure what I'd do without the Swamp, as you have been hosting our Subversion Repository for going on 9 years now. I would definitely help out with the acquisition of a new server, should you decide to keep hosting it.

All of that aside, do what is best for YOU! If you need a break from all of this, by all means, take it. We would all surely understand.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
This has been my favorite web site for 14 years. Thanks Mark  :)
Not doing much Lisp Programing in the past two year due to work overload but I pop in most every day.
Would be a loss to the community if the Swamp were to go away.
Last year & a half I have been using Chief Architect to draw houses. Learning that program has taken all my spare time.
Most recently I purchased BricsCAD & that too has taken a bit of time away.

But I still find the site useful for research & new routines.

I hope you find a solution that is a good fit for you Mark.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »
How many man hours went into the immense amount of knowledge (read: expertise) on this server we've come to call home for the last 14 years?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
How many sp3lling errors are there?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
Mark,

Jeff_M's post covers my feelings ... particularly that YOU need to be healthy and happy.

I came in with the first dozen members here and since then have been continuously impressed with your dedication and perseverance serving this community.

From a purely selfish perspective I'd miss having the archive of technical forums to call on and I'd miss the daily interchanges that you built this place to service.

You have my thanks and backing whatever you decide.

Best Regards,

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
I don't use it nearly as much as I once did, but it is still an invaluable source of information.
I know you mentioned that Google has lots of the same information, but many times a search for information will bring theswamp to the top of the list.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
Mark,

Jeff_M's post covers my feelings ... particularly that YOU need to be healthy and happy.

I came in with the first dozen members here and since then have been continuously impressed with your dedication and perseverance serving this community.

From a purely selfish perspective I'd miss having the archive of technical forums to call on and I'd miss the daily interchanges that you built this place to service.

You have my thanks and backing whatever you decide.

Best Regards,

This sums up my feelings nicely, except part about being in the first dozen, I'm mid-school.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 01:53:04 AM »
I think the main reason why this site is so good is the tone you set Mark. Welcoming and well mannered has made it easy for people to try a little harder to gain more knowledge. I can imagine there are a lot of folks that would have given up if there was only google but here there is an impetus to keep trying. I do not have a degree but since being on this site I have been able to make a big difference to my work place. You have given so many people the opportunity to shine where facts alone don't cut it.
Cheers mate.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 05:48:38 AM »
I think the main reason why this site is so good is the tone you set Mark. Welcoming and well mannered has made it easy for people to try a little harder to gain more knowledge. I can imagine there are a lot of folks that would have given up if there was only google but here there is an impetus to keep trying. I do not have a degree but since being on this site I have been able to make a big difference to my work place. You have given so many people the opportunity to shine where facts alone don't cut it.
Cheers mate.

+1

It will be a small disaster if The Swamp is not available anymore. So if you would rather not host it yourself, I would be happy if it is hosted somewhere else so it will be available. If you also don't want to keep ownership, the best thing you can do is to hand it over to a community foundation.

Anyway, I only can respect your thoughts and decisions.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

CottageCGirl

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
I don't mind maintaining this place if it is still useful. I really don't. It can get very aggravating though when my ISP can not fix their damn problems in a timely manor.

What can I / we do to make this place more useful? Drive more traffic to theswamp.org?

Should we get ride of some of the old forums lying around?

Can we make it more social? Everyone loves social sites now days. :)

I can't really make the place look a lot different.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)