Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 47831 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
TheSwamp, as we know it.
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »
In September of this year theswamp.org will be 14 years old. Threads and posts have been declining for the past couple years and the current server is over 3 years old.

For the past couple of years i’ve been asking myself “is this place still relevant? Does this place still serve a purpose? Can I justify the time, energy and money to keep this place running?" And, quite honestly, i am finding it harder to answer yes to those questions.

I would really like to hear your thoughts. Do you think this place is still useful? Do forums like this still serve as a useful tool for sharing information?

Thanks for any/all comments.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 08:32:32 AM by Mark »
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
I'm on the site almost daily. It's a treasure trove of information for me. The other forums out there are OK .. but TheSwamp is the best IMO.

If there's something I can do to help out let me know.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »
I'm on the site almost daily. It's a treasure trove of information for me.
Yes it is, no doubt about that. :) But google has most of that same information currently indexed and ready to use too.

If there's something I can do to help out let me know.
Thank you sir.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »
I use it quite frequently, newer languages such as .NET use FB groups for help and assistance. These older languages, forums are really the best way to go.

Instead of hosting it locally, why not shift it to a provider? I'm sure any funds needed could be readily raised.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Instead of hosting it locally, why not shift it to a provider?
I have thought about that, many times. I am not sure I trust those big server farms. Do you have any companies in mind?

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
I'm here daily.  I find it invaluable from a developer perspective, there's a lot of questions and answers that go deeper than at the Autodesk forums.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
I can donate $5 to $20 a month to help pay for a provider.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
I'm here daily.  I find it invaluable from a developer perspective, there's a lot of questions and answers that go deeper than at the Autodesk forums.
Then should we trim all  the forums back and just concentrate on the programming?

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »

For the past couple of years i’ve been asking myself “is this place still relevant? Does this place still serve a purpose? Can I justify the time, energy and money to keep this place running?" And, quite honestly, i am finding it harder to answer yes to those questions.

I would really like to hear your thoughts. Do you think this place is still useful? Do forums like this still serve as a useful tool for sharing information?

I am not here every day.
I am in other forums every day.
But when I run across a difficult CAD problem, especially programming related, I know where to come and look, and/or point other people.
I'm still amazed that you are doing your own hosting, and I do think the loss of this board would leave a huge void.
Would everyone survive if this went away? Sure. But I suspect true members would be willing to 'subscribe' to this as a service.  Or maybe you could incorporate ads, and 'members' (however that is defined) would get an ad-free experience?

Thanks for everything for this ±14 years Mark!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »
I can donate $5 to $20 a month to help pay for a provider.
Thank you Jeff. I'm more worried about the provided than anything else. I really do not mind hosting this place as long as it remains valuable to the community. Of course if it was hosted on a provider it would easier to maintain, I think.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
Would everyone survive if this went away? Sure. But I suspect true members would be willing to 'subscribe' to this as a service.  Or maybe you could incorporate ads, and 'members' (however that is defined) would get an ad-free experience?
I do not believe ads are needed. We can survive without them. :)

This is not about the money really. If we do keep this place going and I host it then we will need a new server soon(ish) and I would be asking for donations to help pay for it.

I'm still amazed that you are doing your own hosting, and I do think the loss of this board would leave a huge void.
Thank you very much.

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
My usage depends on currents tasks and this is why the intensity is fluctuating, but when I'm in Lisp, then I use TheSwamp very intensely. Yes, Google shows me a lot - but most of the results are questions or semi-solved issues. On other places you'll find something - here you find the essence and the solutions.

I want to encourage you to keep it on - it's THE pillar of information.
Peter

AutoCAD Map 3D 2023 German (so some technical terms will be badly retranslated to English)
BricsCAD V23

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
For the past 3 years, I have done very little cadding or reviteering since my role has taken on a construction administration track and I hope that track continues.  But I still come here just about every day and I always have a tab open to the Swamp.   I have found the technical information valuable but I have found the laughs and comradery here priceless.  And the latter is why I still come here. 

Just today I steered a young cadder to the swamp for the Civil 3d plugin thread.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
I'm here everyday (about)... mostly creeping on posts and the laginappe (sp?) stuff
I feel when I ask question here.. I get answers, or at least a reply soon, unlike another site I frequent where  a post may sit for days or weeks before you get an answer.

My vote: keep it going please

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »
The friends we've made on/in this little safe harbor in the vast internet...
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org