Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 48820 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
...  Is this to do backups or clear any cache overloads ?

I host my own web site and I really only take it off-line when I need to reboot it ( maybe 3-4 times a year ) 250,000 files @ 55GB

So Yes, the Swamp is very relevant and would be sorely missed.  Thanks for all members work and time.

-David

No this server is running BSD (you don't need to reboot unix/bsd); Mark takes the server offline to preform software updates and just other misc maintenance. Also, he has proven himself a full fledged Unix Admin (best of the best); most other forums do not host the sites themselves (because of knowledge, time, and money).

If BSD supports failover-cluster :? (similar to my primary Windows Server has a secondary and even tertiary node? Not sure, I'm just a lowly MTA Server), then perhaps we could/should help Mark obtain that new server, so this server can become that secondary node?

[Edit] - i.e., When primary is taken offline, the secondary node kicks on (using real-time sync), so nobody ever notices... Then when primary maintenance is done, it syncs to active node and then comes back online, so secondary can go offline & resumes real-time sync.

Sounds like a lot of work. :) I use the previous server as my backup (as in files not http) server and run rsync everyday.

I would very much like to have an offsite backup location.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
Quote from: Mark
Sounds like a lot of work. :) I use the previous server as my backup (as in files not http) server and run rsync everyday.

Is cost the primary reason to not just host this with a vendor, in a data center, where the downtime is almost nil?

I mean the performance couldn't be any better than it is now, but wasn't there a problem a while back with a backhoe and a severed data line?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
Quote from: Mark

Is cost the primary reason to not just host this with a vendor, in a data center, where the downtime is almost nil?

I mean the performance couldn't be any better than it is now, but wasn't there a problem a while back with a backhoe and a severed data line?
I will be looking into that in the very near future but i have no idea what the cost is. I've just always like doing the hosting myself. I keep all my software up to date and there is very limited access so i feel its a little safer anyway.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »

It was Anna Sewell, the author of Black Beauty who is quoted saying

"It is good people who make good places."

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
As of a few months ago, all of my old servers are now running on MS Azure. It has taken several years and no small measure of aggravation to adapt my ways and also to find an optimal cost/benefit ratio to get acceptable performance without breaking the bank. I can't say that the universe is better now (how many millions of years does it take for old servers to decompose?), but moving those servers to the cloud has definitely made my life easier and my office more spacious. Yes, it comes at a cost. In my case it has been worth the cost.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »
I rather have a mobile theme :)
Usage
SMF's support of wireless protocols is always enabled unless the forum code is modified. The WAP, WAP 2, and i-mode protocols can be accessed by adding ?wap, ?wap2, or ?imode respectively at the end of the forum's URL. For example:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?wap
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?wap2
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?imode

That is not really a mobile theme  :(
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »
Like others in this thread, I think the amount of time it has taken me to see/respond to this thread is indicative of... something.  But the fact that I keep coming back here after over 10 years, especially as I haven't been CADing for the vast majority of that time, is also indicative of... something else.

I am glad that the decision which was made appears to have been "cut down the number of subfora" rather than shutdown.  This is the only forum I come back to regularly, and it's certainly the only site I can think of I've regularly come to for over 10 years.

There are a couple of things you could do to make the site look a little less "dead" - as you've already done, cutting down the number of sections, and as I haven't yet seen suggested, remove the date stamps from the index page.

If you ever want any help to lighten the load of admining here, please feel free to give me a shout.  I'm finally back in front of magic black screens, and adding one more to the list is no problem.

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2017, 03:15:19 AM »
Like others in this thread, I think the amount of time it has taken me to see/respond to this thread is indicative of... something.  But the fact that I keep coming back here after over 10 years, ...

Ten years?  It really did take you a long time to read this thread  :2funny: :uglystupid2:

dJE
===
dJE

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
Am I the only one that hears the song "Its the end of the world as we know it" whenever I read this thread?

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
Am I the only one that hears the song "Its the end of the world as we know it" whenever I read this thread?

Sorry...that was an embedded song I posted earlier.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
I gotta ask... best topics ever lol.
Civil3D 2020

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2017, 02:47:01 AM »

I was getting Mr.Spock from StarTrekkin, but I think that's about to change....

dJE
===
dJE

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2017, 04:06:01 AM »
I wonder if the drop off in use is due in some part to the decline of "traditional" CAD methods.
We started Using Revit about 5 years ago, and its went from about 5% of our work to 95% in those 5 years. We now only use CAD for small projects where the Architect doesn't have Revit and for Schematics which aren't really all that good in Revit.

I fell away for a while due to relevance and workload, but I'm on here almost every day again. I've yet to find a site where you can ask a really dumb question and get a helpful response, the community of users on here are second to none. Even the AUGI forums are not a patch on this place.

If it ended, it would be a sorely missed resource.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

CincyJeff

• Newt
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
Add me to the list of near daily visitors. I spend the majority of my time writing custom lisps for AutoCAD and this is usually my first stop for help. The regulars have a depth of knowledge and experience the other sites can't match. I would surely miss it.

squirreldip

• Newt
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
I go in spurts.  When I get active on coding something I use this site as my go-to.  It may not be as active as it once was but it is a great resource and enough activity that questions get answered fairly quickly.

There's always good discussions and sufficient activity for ideas.  It would be sad if it were gone.