Author Topic: TheSwamp, as we know it.  (Read 47845 times)

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
Re: TheSwamp, as we know it.
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2017, 03:32:56 AM »
Going to start removing non-code related forums tomorrow. Now would be a good time to speak your mind. :)

I use the Dynamic Blocks forum relatively often, and quite often hang out in Pixel This, so would be grateful if those were to remain, please.

Thank you, Mark, for all the hard work you do around here.

dJE
===
dJE

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 08:22:58 AM »
There are a few folks using one of the other styles. How attached to that style are you? :)

It makes it easier to maintain this place with just the one style.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
Going to start removing non-code related forums tomorrow. Now would be a good time to speak your mind. :)

I use the Dynamic Blocks forum relatively often, and quite often hang out in Pixel This, so would be grateful if those were to remain, please.
Thanks Daniel. I was planning on moving Pixel this to a child board of Lagniappe.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2017, 09:03:11 AM »
You moved "Ask Mav".

Seriously?

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
Mark -

My only now posting in this thread is indicative of not having as much free time to hang out here as I once did... That is due to workload, home improvements, etc, but I still consider TheSwamp to be the single, best performing, and highest concentration of actionable information of any online CAD resource.

Much of my own learning has come from members of TheSwamp, in the LISP, .NET, Land Lubber, & Bits and PCs forums... And I've contributed to threads where I felt that I could (little as that may be).

If change is needed, then I support your decision - so long as you're not having some mid-life crisis Haha - TheSwamp is very much still relevant, and you *should* d@mn well know that!  :angel:

I appreciate all of the time and effort you've put in to make such a place available to this community.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »
I happened to join on 2004-10-20 https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=30
If I can still math, that is about 13 Years and I have been drafting for about 15. I Stumbled on TheSwamp during college. I believe this forum is very useful. Sites like Afralisp, Lee-mac.com, augi, have also helped me in my career as a drafter. I find our forum very useful because of the people in here who actually take the time to respond with answers and comment.

If you are running the forums without seeking reward for the money or time and energy and purely out of passion, I would say keep going at it.

It only brings value to you as a person, which is priceless. Which I already do value your passion in putting together this community.

If you're expecting a return of investment, well you have some competition with other sources. However, if you decide to go that route I'm sure there are enough supporters who will support your cause.

If you decide to pull the plug, well there are still ways to communicate with all of the members but TheSwamp will be remembered instead of living. :sniffles:

As for server hardware, I'm sure we can find donated or low price hardware to run this forum.

I really hope this forum stays alive. Thanks for providing this forum.  :smitten:

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2017, 09:46:44 PM »
There are a few folks using one of the other styles. How attached to that style are you? :)

It makes it easier to maintain this place with just the one style.

I gave up on the styles, set it to default and found one on stylish. I like me a dark theme.

Get rid of them if it will make your life easier. :)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2017, 02:09:19 AM »
I rather have a mobile theme :-)

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
I rather have a mobile theme :-)
Usage
SMF's support of wireless protocols is always enabled unless the forum code is modified. The WAP, WAP 2, and i-mode protocols can be accessed by adding ?wap, ?wap2, or ?imode respectively at the end of the forum's URL. For example:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?wap
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?wap2
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?imode

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
Quote from: BlackBox

.... I still consider TheSwamp to be the single, best performing, and highest concentration of actionable information of any online CAD resource.

Ditto this.

And for good timing, the Adsk forums are down this morning, at least for many people.

David Bethel

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
While I don't post much these days, the Swamp and CADtutor are best peer to peer resources for AutoCAD information that I've found.

Just as a question, the swamp goes offline at some time usually over the weekend for maintenance.  I don't know of another site that does this.  Is this to do backups or clear any cache overloads ?

I host my own web site and I really only take it off-line when I need to reboot it ( maybe 3-4 times a year ) 250,000 files @ 55GB

So Yes, the Swamp is very relevant and would be sorely missed.  Thanks for all members work and time.

-David
R12 Dos - A2K

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
...  Is this to do backups or clear any cache overloads ?

I host my own web site and I really only take it off-line when I need to reboot it ( maybe 3-4 times a year ) 250,000 files @ 55GB

So Yes, the Swamp is very relevant and would be sorely missed.  Thanks for all members work and time.

-David

No this server is running BSD (you don't need to reboot unix/bsd); Mark takes the server offline to preform software updates and just other misc maintenance. Also, he has proven himself a full fledged Unix Admin (best of the best); most other forums do not host the sites themselves (because of knowledge, time, and money).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

David Bethel

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »

No this server is running BSD (you don't need to reboot unix/bsd); Mark takes the server offline to preform software updates and just other misc maintenance. Also, he has proven himself a full fledged Unix Admin (best of the best); most other forums do not host the sites themselves (because of knowledge, time, and money).

Didn't know this .  Wow !  Thanks
R12 Dos - A2K

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
I don't really check in much anymore either.  I am still in the process of changing careers to something outside of CAD.  Should be done soon.

I came here from the Adesk forums in 2005 and have never looked back.  This site has made me the programmer I am and has allowed me to find jobs programming in languages outside of Lisp (where I started).  I always say I am self taught, but this could be interpreted as a lie.  Without the help of the Guru's here and at the Adesk forumn (when it was still good), then I would not have made any of the progress I have.  Also, some of the other sites would not be what they are with the knowledge shared here.

I want to say a big Thanks!!! to Mark and the admins that have kept this place what it has always been: a haven for people willing to put in the work to better themselves with the help of others.

I can only echo what Jeff_M (and others) have stated: do what makes you happy Mark.  We all support you and your decision.

I do consider myself lucky to have been a member here for so long, and for the ability to help pay back what I have gotten.

I consider the members here friends.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
...  Is this to do backups or clear any cache overloads ?

-David

If BSD supports failover-cluster :? (similar to my primary Windows Server has a secondary and even tertiary node? Not sure, I'm just a lowly MTA Server), then perhaps we could/should help Mark obtain that new server, so this server can become that secondary node?

[Edit] - i.e., When primary is taken offline, the secondary node kicks on (using real-time sync), so nobody ever notices... Then when primary maintenance is done, it syncs to active node and then comes back online, so secondary can go offline & resumes real-time sync.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."