Author Topic: Electrical Element ReHosting and Locking Links  (Read 197 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Electrical Element ReHosting and Locking Links
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:32:59 am »
I recently had someone accidentally delete the architectural link from and electrical model and every hosted device is now orphaned. This is a company new to Revit and we are not doing much more than putting in devices and circuiting. We are going to try to get into some smart scheduling by the time this project is done.

This thread is two fold.

First, what are the implications of leaving a majority of the devices in a model orphaned? Will this eventually cause serious issues?

We've already started discussions about not using hosted families moving forward. Would it be simpler to replace these devices with a non-hosted equivalent than it would be to rehost hundreds of devices?

Second, is it possible to prevent a link from being accidentally deleted in a cloud model?

In the past, I've retained ownership of the Links workset and that has worked. That was on LAN projects. This is a cloud project. If someone other than me needed to do anything with the links, it's easy enough for someone to sign into the model as me and take care of it. With a cloud project, a password is required and I don't want to lock it down that much and risk that kind of roadblock in case of fire.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Electrical Element ReHosting and Locking Links
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:50:30 am »
To answer your first question, I don't think it will cause any issues with the model itself, but you may run into situations where things have moved sort of on their own, because they no longer have their host element. Personally, I would correct it one way or another.

To answer your second question, I would pin it, lock it, and stuff it in your pocket.
http://autode.sk/2t1ebc1

This is about the best you can do without watching every move every user makes. It comes down to education.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Electrical Element ReHosting and Locking Links
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:11:00 am »
All that clicking was funny.

All my links are normally pinned. Unpinning is a normal part of daily workflow and it's too easy to forget to re-pin. I understand that if someone deletes an entire background that it should be immediately apparent and a subsequent undo is in order but somehow this didn't happen. I decided not to try to figure out who did it in this case. If the only viable solution is pinning, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen again. If it does, well, let's just say someone is going to be feeling a bit uncomfortable.
CAD Tech