Author Topic: MULTIPLE SURFSCULPT  (Read 1575 times)

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
MULTIPLE SURFSCULPT
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:49 AM »
Hi, I have a question...

I am satisfied the way command SURFSCULPT works and everything is fine if I have selection set of surfaces forming different spatial areas. When applied SURFSCULPT to this selection set, multiple different 3d solids are created and that's fine... However the problem arises when I have selection set of surfaces that are forming spatial areas one inside other or that are overlap spatial with each other - this is not important to me right now, I am searching only for solution when spatial areas are one inside others fully... So when I apply SURFSCULPT to this selection set only the biggest forming envelope 3d solid is created - just single the biggest one... So my question is : How to make separate selection sets of those spatial areas each separately to make it possible to apply SURFSCULPT to each one of them and to get result like biggest 3d solid and others smaller inside this one or even more smaller inside of middle one by spatial area size i.e. nesting all levels by spatial area sizes...
Marko Ribar, d.i.a. (graduated engineer of architecture)

:)

M.R. on Youtube

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
Re: MULTIPLE SURFSCULPT
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
When I try to think more over it, I think I know how to start grouping... I'll iterate through selection set of all surfaces and get their areas with AREA command - (vla-get-area) is not supported... Then I'll sort all surfaces from smallest area to the biggest one... Now comes the tricky part - the next question : how to get next touching surface with reference one - SURFTRIM command is I think good, but how to automate it... I don't know, maybe some other approach - is (vla-checkinterference) working with surfaces ?; I don't think so... Give me your opinion if you know... Then when acquired next surface find next one based on acquired one excluding first one and so on building group list... When last surface is added to list there should be no next one - checking should point to surfaces already added to group list... After that add that group to list of groups and iterate next bigger one surface by area from main list from which are removed surfaces from created group(s)... And so on, all until all selection set is processed and all groups are added to main group list...

M.R. on Youtube

ribarm

• Gator
  • Marko Ribar, architect
Re: MULTIPLE SURFSCULPT
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »
I think that one way to go may be IMPRINT command followed with EXPLODE and checking how may entities were created after EXPLODE, but this may be also bad option as when surface is exploded result can vary - checked with lofted surface and it creates bounding curves as well... Can we see if something is imprinted without exploding - programmatically?

M.R. on Youtube