Author Topic: Seeing Levels  (Read 401 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Seeing Levels
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:28:00 pm »
I've got a project with levels that only correspond to parts of the building.

Is there a way to see the extent of the levels in a plan view?
CAD Tech

rvhwlc

• Newt
Re: Seeing Levels
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:18:37 pm »
no section or elev only.. extents may be constrained by scope box..

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
That's not just a little bit disappointing. I'm guessing a 3D view is also out of the question.
CAD Tech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:01:57 am »
I presume that you want to see more of the building than what is just on that level? You can stretch the crop view box, or turn it off. To view levels below your current level either extend the view range or click on Underlay and chose a level to display.
A 3D view will show everything providing that its set to be seen in that view.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:11:36 am »
Actually, I'd like to see the level itself, not the stuff associated with it. Either in the form of a rectangle in a plan view or a plane in a 3D view.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:27:25 am »
Actually, I'd like to see the level itself, not the stuff associated with it. Either in the form of a rectangle in a plan view or a plane in a 3D view.
Nope. Can't do that.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:11 am »
Revit Sucks!! as bad as Kmart does! 

:crazy2:
You are responsible for your own experiences, ... so why are you asking me how  cold the water is?

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

Bobby C. Jones

• Bull Frog
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:24:39 am »

You can set the level as your current workplane and then toggle visibility of the current workplane on.  It'll show in plan and 3D views.
Bobby C. Jones

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 03:13:56 pm »

You can set the level as your current workplane and then toggle visibility of the current workplane on.  It'll show in plan and 3D views.
Wait... what??!?  Does it show the extent of the levels with regards to elevation views? Or is it just a partial representation? Either way, pretty cool. Never knew that was there.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional

Bobby C. Jones

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »
Wait... what??!?  Does it show the extent of the levels with regards to elevation views? Or is it just a partial representation? Either way, pretty cool. Never knew that was there.

That's a great question, I don't know how it determines the extents when it initially shows.  It has grips at each edge that allow you to change it though.
Bobby C. Jones

Bobby C. Jones

• Bull Frog
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »
That's a great question, I don't know how it determines the extents when it initially shows.  It has grips at each edge that allow you to change it though.

I suppose if it doesn't come in at the extents set in elevation view, then this isn't really much help to Rob :-/
Bobby C. Jones

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »
Even if it doesn't show the extents, it will be at least somewhat helpful for this particular project. I can't wait to try it out. I'll check to see if it corresponds with the extents in section and post back my findings.
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 07:29:19 am »
It does not show the extents of the levels.
CAD Tech

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:32:41 am »
It does not show the extents of the levels.
i got ecxited for moment... wish it did..

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 01:40:42 pm »
i got ecxited for moment... wish it did..
That's what she said....
Autodesk Expert Elite

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 06:41:06 am »
There is a kind of fudge for this.

Set up your typical floor plans per level, with the appropriate view range, then create a 3D view, then right click on the View Cube, and select "Orient to View", Select "Floor Plans" and then select your typical floor plan, this will restrict the 3D view to only that floor, with the associated view range.

Was that what you were hoping to do?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »
There is a kind of fudge for this.

Set up your typical floor plans per level, with the appropriate view range, then create a 3D view, then right click on the View Cube, and select "Orient to View", Select "Floor Plans" and then select your typical floor plan, this will restrict the 3D view to only that floor, with the associated view range.

Was that what you were hoping to do?

Close, but not really as that would require the floor plans to be cropped to the extents of the level(s).

I'm taking over model managing this particular project and need to figure out the extents of the levels. We are copy monitoring the levels and I wanted to get my head around them. There are a number of ways to do this, I was just looking for an easy button and thought something other than sections would be much easier.
CAD Tech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:02 am »
Levels are a 3D plane that can extend as far as you want them to.
have a look at this article.
http://www.revitzone.com/presentation-and-graphics/143-levels-2d-and-3d-extents-explained

Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 11:25:23 am »
Planes, by definition, are 2D.

One would think that the levels would be constructed properly and only go as far as is appropriate for the project. That's how I would want them. I think that it may be a stretch since the only way to see the extents is in section and when looking in section, you can only see two of the edges. When one is not familiar with the project it can get confusing when there are multiple levels indicating various things in different parts of the building. Ideally, I would like to be able to see the extents of every level in a 3D view AND be able to correct them if they weren't constructed properly.
CAD Tech