Author Topic: Licensing Question  (Read 3841 times)

craigr

Licensing Question
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
I have looked on the Autodesk web site, and can't find it.....

I am leaving a company due to them slowly phasing out CAD work over the last several years. The amount of CAD work needed has dwindled to me being the only CAD guy left, and now there isn't even enough to keep me full time.

The owner of the company wants me to 'subcontract' what CAD there is from home, using HIS Cad license. Understand, that I will no longer be an employee for the company.

I would think that since I am no longer an employee, that I cannot use their AutoCAD license. He said 'Who would know?' But I am not going to stick my neck out for it.

craigr

ChrisCarlson

Re: Licensing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
If it's their license, they can use that seat as they wish. If that means giving it to you for subcontracting purposes so be it. You will have to walk a grey line in terms of other work you do on that license though.

If it was me, I would ask for a yearly payment to cover your own subscription.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
Sorry to hear about getting phased out, Craig.
CAD Tech

craigr

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »
Thanks

It really sucks. I have been here 24 years and they aren't willing to move me to another position.

I'm 55, and I have a tough time sitting for long, have a tough time walking. I can't see to many companies that are going to willing to hire me.

Oh well, I was looking for a job when I found this one. - Who know, maybe there is a better one out there just waiting for me.

craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about getting phased out, Craig.

Ditto.  And seconded on getting and controlling your own license.  Maybe that way you can finally move to *gasp* FULL AutoCAD!   :yay!:
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

craigr

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Money folks. There is absolutely no what I can afford LT let alone the Full version.

I don't see me doing enough CAD at home to make it worth my spending the money, even if I had it.  I have only done LT all of these years which is 2D only. I have serious doubts that I will be much use to Engineering firms. - I AM going to hit as many as possible. I am VERY good at what I do and have automated so very many repetitive tasks for what we do. I am going to use this as a 'selling point' if / when I get interviews.

I would like to get a text version of them, just in case I can use any of them on future employment.

I must acknowledge that you folks have help me so very much throughout the years. - As far as this board goes, I am not going anywhere. Even if I don't find work doing CAD, I may be able to help someone else with what I have learned.

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »
Money folks. There is absolutely no what I can afford LT let alone the Full version.
Perhaps THIS could suit your needs without breaking the bank .. AND you get full lisp support :)

Sorry to hear about your job.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »
I looked into switching our company to that several years ago, but I was thinking the license was pretty close to Autodesk. - I will look into again.

What is the learning curve to from Autodesk to  BrisCAD?

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
I'm still an AutoCAD user, but from the trials I've done .. the transition should be pretty easy.
Download a trial and give it a go :)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
I am going to do further checking on the using the current license at home to do what CAD this company needs and 'subcontract' for them. I hate to leave them out there hanging with no one to do what little CAD they need done.  We are such a specialize industry, it would be tough for them to hire another CAD guy to step in and take my place. I do much more than just draw things. - Too long to explain here.

Anyway, if things don't work out, I will definitely look into the BrisCAD and look for Sub work for others. - You never know what is out there until you look.

If I do Sub here, is it typical to do it for the same hourly rate? - I would think more since I will no longer be receiving insurance, 401, and the rest of my current benefits. I don't want to take advantage of there situation. I would like it to be fair for both of us.  This is all new territory for me. I honestly have no clue how this typically works.

craigr

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
Sub-contract is definitely much more. There is a premium to pay if they don't want you on full time.

craigr

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
Sub-contract is definitely much more. There is a premium to pay if they don't want you on full time.

This company has been good to me throughout the years. I simply wish to be fair to both of us.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
It really sucks. I have been here 24 years and they aren't willing to move me to another position.
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your new adventures.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »

This company has been good to me throughout the years. I simply wish to be fair to both of us.

Fair is fair -- both ways.  Typically in the consulting biz staff are billed out a a 3x multiplier, so if your current gross pay is $30/hr, ask for $90/hr.

Especially if you;re got specialized knowledge in the filed that's hard to replace.  Personally, speaking though, i'd be a bit leery about  using their license on your equipment  EULA calls for it being under their control IIRC, and the ethics of thinking "who would know?" as justification for a questionable transfer is perturbing. YMMV
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:08:14 AM by cadtag »
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business