Author Topic: Fly Over Animation  (Read 2457 times)

DanB

• Bull Frog
Fly Over Animation
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »
Boss wants me to do some sort of video of a simple 1.5 mile alignment (some curves), with an aerial background, which I have a good quality one.

My initial thoughts before I walk out the door this evening:
Option 1 - top down/plan view following the alignment at a slow speed
Option 2 - slightly angled view, like Google Earth could provide, again slow speed. This particular area is rather flat and Google Earth isn't showing any cool 3d buildings or trees in the area to take advantage of.

I have some freebie screen video capturing but also curious what AutoCAD may be able to offer? I spent literally 10 minutes clunking around the AutoCad Animation Motion Path. This may be a little too basic? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Curious if I do screen video capturing, is there any tricks to controlling a smooth panning motion or automating this in anyway?

New territory for me.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Fly Over Animation
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
InfraWorks 360  :wink:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:04:14 AM »
Talkin about a overkill, how compatible is this 360 product with DWG anyway. Can it handle xref, .aferials etc? AutoCAD 2018 should be smoother and better in 3d and I think there are some options for a animation paths..

Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

wizman

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:49:53 AM »
Hi,

You could also look at:

Google earth's KMZ with animation which fast and simple for alignment visualizations.

or

have an advanced one with Bentley LumenRT.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
Talkin about a overkill, how compatible is this 360 product with DWG anyway. Can it handle xref, .aferials etc? AutoCAD 2018 should be smoother and better in 3d and I think there are some options for a animation paths..

Maybe overkill, but far far superior to AutoCAD.  Also specifically designed for working with geographic data for surfaces and draped imagery.

For something less intensive, I would suggest Navisworks Simulate.  Its included in most of the Suites and Collections, and has easy viewpoint (camera) animation by interpolating between saved viewpoints.  This can be played real time, with the user able to pause at any point and go "off script".  It can also be used to create good quality rendered stills and movies (both directly and by frames - the latter is better for anything other than previews).
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »
I appreciate the feedback. I think I have access to Infraworks 2014 - not sure if that is one in the same as mentioned above. Although after talking again with the boss, I may attempt a Google Earth tour of some sort. I'm getting the don't spend too much time on this vibe. These other ideas are likely "better", just not sure I can produce something efficiently.

Thanks again.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
We're in the same boat with regards to Google Earth.  Most of our sites are so far outside urban centers we're lucky if we can tell where roads are from the change in crop colors.  In the rare case someone wants to use it I usually end up redirecting our models to show up in the parking lot of the local stadium so there's at least *some* context.   :-)
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »
It's quite simple to do it in InfraWorks. Just a few clicks and you've got a flyover that you can export. This one can certainly be tweaked but it gives you an idea of what's possible, and it's all real time.
http://autode.sk/2oWOFBI
Autodesk Expert Elite

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
Thanks for that link Matt. I'll see what the version I have offers, maybe that will be an option. Glad I have some options, I'm hoping in the next day or two I'll have time to try some of these suggestions.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »
Nice video Matt. Simple and looks "sweet".
Civil3D 2020

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
All you're doing is setting key frames and InfraWorks is stitching them together (similar to an animation in Navisworks). Fast and simple.
Autodesk Expert Elite