Author Topic: Visual Studio 2017  (Read 1996 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Visual Studio 2017
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:50:25 PM »

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
Re: Visual Studio 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Figured I'd wait for the first service pack, and/or some feedback here.

CADbloke

• Bull Frog
  • Crash Test Dummy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:21 AM »
I went to a demo @ a  MSFT Visual Studio  Regional Director's user group a couple of weeks ago. VS 2017 is shinier and nicer and faster and all that but not yet, for me. VS 2015 is working well for me so I don't feel like I need to fix that. Hell, I haven't even crashed it this month.

The new C# 7 features are nice but I'll survive without them. Resharper and its sibling already do some of the shiny new things in VS2015 (continuous testing, for one). I don't use .NET core... yet. I don't think I need Nuget 4 ... yet. I'm not doing much web stuff ... yet. If you are then you should try it out. Try Angular 2 while you're at it.

It seems to take a while for the extensions to catch up and all the bits and pieces to stabilise, about a year or so. The extensions use a new API so expect some breakages and lag there. I use quite a few.

Between Autodesk and the ODA, there's plenty of time until the require today's latest and greatest.

As an aside, if you're using VS Code you should be using the insider edition, it is quite a way ahead of the RTM version. VS code is mostly for front-end web developers, compared to VS which is more of a heavy-duty back-end tool. I don't use it because I don't see the point of using both.

nekitip

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
There is no ISO available. That is the biggest problem.
So I've started install over night, and found it stopped at 76% in the morning. I've read on forums exactly same error, and people explained that it may have something to do with AVG antivirus (amazingly, I also have it), so I turned it off, restarted again and it went trough (luckily, it did not redownload itself again). I do not know is it just because of restart, or AVG really had to do domething, but... I hate to see that there is no ISO (or at least was not there yesterday), so now I would have to go trough all of that again for laptop...
Also, after all of that, I had problem not being able to access marketplace. That could be just because of overloading servers, since few hours later it worked...
I'm no expert, just sharing my experience...

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

nekitip

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »
I read that, but did you read comments of people who did try? Apparently, a lot of problems there also. It's a bit anoying - they already have installer where you need to click options you want while installing. Why not just allow option to download result to ISO.
I think the issue is like with any product... you need to wait a while. For example, my laptop with Windows 10 was unable to return from sleep every second time for about half a year.. Also, two times I had automatic restart for update with "do not turn off" message  at the most unconvenient moment (and yes, update lasted 15 minutes).

We all know that we are all going to install 2017 at some point, but I do not see a need to rush (in terms of features). In a week or so, I guess they'll fix most of install problems...