Author Topic: Infiltration from Stormwater Retention Ponds | MODRET Alternatives?  (Read 4384 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Looking for recommendations - What do you (or your Engineers) use for these sort of calculations?

One of my Engineers has used a program called MODRET for many years, and I am trying to learn what alternative software products there are for this?

http://www.scisoftware.com/environmental_software/product_info.php?products_id=93

I am no PE, so the only thing that comes to my mind is something like Autodesk's Storm and Sanitary Analysis. 

The problems with that are that it requires Pipe Networks, etc which he doesn't want to learn, and it really does appear to be a lot more work than what he does now, which is just to populate the form below, and click a Run button (not shown) - the whole process only takes 1-3 seconds.

The reasons I'm seeking alternatives, is due to the fact that his old WinXP box is failing (has failed, only really kept it so he could RDP into it for this program, frankly), the application does not run properly on Windows 10 (even with Compatibility mode), it  has some hard-coded paths which I can mitigate by placing under C:\Program Files (non x86), and as you'll see below the texbox color is blacked out (looks normal under WinXP).

TIA
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Infiltration from Stormwater Retention Ponds | MODRET Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »
BB, from their webpage:
MODRET is compatible with Windows XP.
MODRET can be installed on Windows 7 or Windows 8 with minor modifications during installation and operation. Contact us for more information.

Have you asked them about bringing it up to Win10 compatibility?

That's the best I can do, as we don't use anything here for this.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
Why not install XP as a virtual machine in his regular box?
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Thanks guys - some additional information:

The other 'critical' program from their WinXP boxes (2 Engineers, one with PC issues), is ICPR v3 - this is installed, and works much better on their newer Win8.1/10 machines, but no longer supports RDP access as a result of Streamline electing to not update the drivers/software to work with the hardware dongle.  RDP is still functional in WinXP, and since it's hardware locked, if/when they need to remote in they usually just move the dongle to the WinXP box. 

I obtained a quote for the new version of ICPR that does support remote access, etc. but the owners decided not to purchase and use what we have.  Another option I'm exploring for this specifically, is something like USB Director.

Back to MODRET, I've already setup a WinXP SP3 Hyper-V VM for him (the Engineer mentioned in the OP); all he has to do is double click the shortcut on his desktop, and he's working in this VM.

He's just tried the VM adaptation for the first time today, and MODRET does work to a point, but then throws a 'floating point error'.  The resultant report is lacking some of the data that is needed for that particular project.

Hence, my asking for alternatives, as these tasks are clearly done today by many other civil/drainage Engineers... I just need to know what tool(s) they're using, so I can offer him an informed recommendation (as this is out of my area of expertise).

I'm still researching a fix, as that would be the simplest thing.  I have not heard back from MODRET's manufacturer.

Cheers

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
Blackbox... I know the P.E.'s over here use ICPR4 on Win7. The stock Civil3D Drainage Apps (Hydraflow Express, Storm Sewers and Hydrographs) We also use HydroCAD and of course those awesome spreadsheets that someone made that has not been here in forever lol.
Civil3D 2020

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
Blackbox... I know the P.E.'s over here use ICPR4 on Win7. The stock Civil3D Drainage Apps (Hydraflow Express, Storm Sewers and Hydrographs) We also use HydroCAD and of course those awesome spreadsheets that someone made that has not been here in forever lol.

Thanks, MSTG007.

I wanted to upgrade to ICPR4 as well, but owner just thought it was too expensive for what little of it we'd need (Streamline added a lot of functionality in the version 4), especially given that we can still use ICPR3... Wait till they see the price jump from Infrastructure Design Suite to AEC Collection... Per user, per year. :-o

Cheers

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
I will say this with ICPR 3 to ICPR 4, was the interface change. Its not the "dos like" setup. And it was alittle weird to navigate through...
Civil3D 2020