Author Topic: Zoom problem  (Read 5590 times)

craigr

Zoom problem
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
I have a campus map that when I do a 'zoom extents', it zooms so far out that I can no longer see the map.

Please take a look at the attached. Hopefully you can find what is out there that is causing this.

Thanks in advance,
craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Zoom problem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
A couple reasons why this happens here (haven't had a look at that drawing yet):
  • XREF not found - marker with saved path/name at insert point
  • Vertical content without proper object enabler - again, text marker with "AECblahblahblah" at insert point
  • Origin or other marker dropped somewhere out in space
  • Blocks with only invisible attributes - these accumulate as people wblock-all and/or insert/explode
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

craigr

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »
Most of that is above my head, but I AM trying.

Thanks for the info.

alterego

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
another option..

Layers that are switched off rather than frozen

craigr

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
All layers are on, etc...

Okay, I give up. I just can't figure anything else. - I am just spinning my wheels and burning hours on this project that I just don't have.

I can't even tell if it is zooming waaay out or if it is zooming waaay in.

I will wait until for tomorrow in hopes that one of you can figure it out. If not, I guess I will have to start over.

Craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »
Without actually cleaning up the drawing, you could make the whole drawing a block then xclip it like so. Alternatively you could XREF the file into your project and xclip the xref. I do the latter all the time.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I did try to clean the dwg, one layer at a time, block reference, etc., using the QSelect. The only thing that made it zoom 'correctly' was when I was deleting everything, one at a time, then trying the 'zoom extents each time. I did zoom correctly when I got down to 'Arcs'. But, when I QSelect to delete Arcs first, the dwg won't zoom right.

This whole mess started when I was deleting and merging layers to show only what I need. Unfortunately, I didn't zoom extents each time. So, I have no idea which command caused the problem.

Actually, I have spent more time trying to fix this mess than starting over. - I HATE giving up without knowing the cause. But, dollar wise, I think I will have to. Though I will probably save this mess to 'my area' and continue to play with it to solve it.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.
craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
If you want to quickly delete items outside of your map CNTRL+A .. then hold SHIFT & deselect your map ... delete. IMO, it's still much easier to XCLIP though.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
EMPTY TEXT ENTITIES?

I know there's a lisp for that, just don't have time to search right now...I know I have it at home...

steve.carson

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »
When I zoom extents your drawing I can see the dots where the arcs are. I've never seen autocad coordinates this big before. They appear to have enormous Z values as well. One of them I picked was 4.85667223E+83! I did a qselect on all arcs with center Z over 1000000 and selected and erased 42 of them. Zoom extents and there was one more arc that had about the same magnitude Z, but was negative, so erased it and all is well.

craigr

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
As far as the Lisps, sadly, I cannot  use them, as I am using LT.

Thanks again folks

dtkell

• Bull Frog
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
EMPTY TEXT ENTITIES?

I know there's a lisp for that, just don't have time to search right now...I know I have it at home...

Use -PU command. It has all the options to purge things:
<-PURGE
Enter type of unused objects to purge [Blocks/DEtailviewstyles/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SHapes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/SEctionviewstyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length geometry/Empty text objects/All]: >
\"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?\" -Ursula K. Le Guin

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
I can't look at the drawing until tomorrow but the smart money is to WBlock what you need and hopefully the extraneous information will be left behind.
CAD Tech

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 05:17:45 PM »
This is not a fix but when I can not find the problem I use
zoom center 0,0  then 100   if no good try 1000
Sometimes it is worth (like here ) setting the view to front and side and deleting what you dont want
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:28:30 PM by Bryco »

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 05:45:30 PM »
There are arcs all around the map far off and removed then.
Ran a custom command for purging empty blocks empty blocks with empty attributes, exported it to get rid of proxies.
A zoom extents will zoom in on map but a zoom all will still shoot back out