Author Topic: Lost XRef Paths  (Read 1895 times)

craigr

Lost XRef Paths
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
First off, when dealing with XRefs, I am kinda standing on one leg. I understand what they are and their purpose, but when receiving files w/XRefs then maintaining the file structures when working with them gives me pause.

I received some 'floorplan' type drawings w/XRefs - See the attached. I do have those files that I started to simply paste them into the dwg, but I can't because the finished are to be returned to the owner.

The XRef file structure is lost, how do I reattach?

I hesitate to create new XRef paths because I need to return this file(s) to the owner, with our equipment on them.

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Lost XRef Paths
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
Scroll to the right and see what the saved path is.
Why are you still using the classic xref manager?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
To answer your questions....

1. When I scroll to the right, it has THEIR path.... R:Heinze\ControlDrawings\Facilty.... etc.. - I cannot reproduce that path.  I don't get how to resolve this.

2. As far as the Manager, that is the only one that I am aware of. - Can it be because I use the LT version?

Thanks

steve.carson

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
If you put the xref drawings in the same folder as the drawing xref'ing them, it should find them regardless of the saved path. That way you don't have to modify the saved path.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
If you put the xref drawings in the same folder as the drawing xref'ing them, it should find them regardless of the saved path. That way you don't have to modify the saved path.
This.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
WaLa!!!!!

I knew I could count on you folks.  :)

Thanks very much.

craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »
Fine when you've only got a few files and everything is in one folder.  But when you don't, use the "Project Files Search Path" in the Options dialog, under the Files tab.  Assuming that's available with LT of course.  This allows you to create groups of folders specifically to look in for missing XREFs.  You can only have one group/"project" current at any given time, but allows you to keep the original paths.

For example, one of our clients XREFs the graphics part of their title block and *insist* it be kept under C:\blahblahblah.  So I set up a "project" with a search path to a shared network location.  No repathing, no client complaints.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

craigr

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
Fortunately / Unfortunately, we only add a few devices to a drawing, such as Card Access locations to the building's floorplan. The way we typically do it is to take their floorplan, paste it into our titleblock, thus creating new drawing(s) specifically for security devices locations. I then take the new drawing, get rid of the 'garbage' such as grid lines, ductwork, electrical, plumbing runs, etc... All I really care about are walls, windows, doors, furniture, type things.

In this case, we put our devices on THEIR drawings, on their title block. They want us to put our devices on the entire campus and send it back to them. In cases such as this, we typically have their drawing for a few hours then send it back to them.

This happens so seldom, that I have to 're-learn' XRefs.

I appreciate the help folks.

craigr