Author Topic: Key Notes  (Read 275 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Key Notes
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:46:33 am »
Playing with keynotes and would like to do them "by sheet". For some reason the description in the first line item, key note 1, is coming up blank.

What could be causing that?
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
Re: Key Notes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:06:09 pm »
I'm having a love hate relationship with key notes and we just met today.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »
You must have your TABS (in the keynote file) right.  ...keynotes are nice. You'll like them.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »
I've got them working fine, as long as I set them to "by project". When I change it to "by sheet", it breaks.

I didn't change any tabs.

Could it be because I changed the page layout in the keynote file?

Now that I'm thinking about it away from work. I started with someone else's file that was created years ago and I'm not even sure if that one worked. I'll reformat the file Monday AM and use one of the Revit OTTB ones as a template.
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »
OH!!! You said TABS!

I forgot it is a .txt file. I was using Excel to edit it and save as a tab delineated file.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:05:38 pm »
That could be a problem because Excel could save the text wrapped in quotes (which might not work). Edit with notepad; easier most times.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:00 am »
Update:
After getting all my key note symbols in, when changing to "by sheet", none of the descriptions show. The key note numbers show correctly.

I played with the file. It did have a couple of lines that got enclosed with quotes but they didn't seem to have any affect. I even replaced the file with a pared down version of one of the OOTB files and it behaved the same way. I'm thinking I did something wrong in the model as I was experimenting.

Someone mentioned user keynotes may have an effect, but, as far as I can tell, when a user keynote is added to an element, the element properties are not changed in any way. At least, I can't see any reference to the user keynote(s).

I can let the project go out with them set to "By keynote" (not by project as I stated earlier). I'm thinking that is a better way but I can also see the list getting too long to have the entire thing on every plan.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:59:09 am by Rob... »
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:03 am »
Got it!

The legend itself was not set to filter "by sheet". That is why I was getting a complete list of all the key notes and when I changed the key note settings to "by sheet" it must have created some sort of conflict and hid the descriptions.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:49:01 am »
Oh! Sorry, I thought you resolved this issue by yourself already. By the sounds of it you have it all set up in the "traditional method". Good to hear.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 02:27:40 pm »
If by traditional you mean that each sheet has a list of keynotes in sequential order, yes, that is what I was aiming for and what I got. During my search for a solution, I came across several people saying that there is value to the "by keynote" method. That way a given keynote has the same number on every sheet. I like that but people reading the sheets may wonder why there are gaps in the sequence. It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The engineer on this project is an older guy and I knew he would not like the gaps in the sequence even though there is good reason for it. He didn't even think twice about it. Do it the way it's always been done.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »
If by traditional you mean that each sheet has a list of keynotes in sequential order, yes, that is what I was aiming for and what I got. During my search for a solution, I came across several people saying that there is value to the "by keynote" method. That way a given keynote has the same number on every sheet. I like that but people reading the sheets may wonder why there are gaps in the sequence. It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The engineer on this project is an older guy and I knew he would not like the gaps in the sequence even though there is good reason for it. He didn't even think twice about it. Do it the way it's always been done.
FYI: To handle "gaps in numbering" I've always adopted a numbering system (quick example; I've used serveral different systems).
Code: [Select]
100 = plumbing demo
200 = HVAC demo
300 = piping demo