Author Topic: Viewing revit models  (Read 396 times)

alterego

• Newt
Viewing revit models
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:16 am »
Hello everyone.

I am looking for some software that can view Revit files, (similar to the Trueview software used to view DWG files)
Is there a Revit model viewer which can be installed on a computer rather than use the A360 or exporting to Navisworks?

Thanks

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Viewing revit models
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:17:55 am »
I don't believe so. At least nothing that can view the native model. In almost all cases you'll have to export to some other format such as NWC/NWD (Navisworks), 3D DWG, or IFC format for another application to be able to process the data for viewing. I personally would suggest A360 because it doesn't require an install. You can view it from a web browser. Or you can install the app for your phone and view models on the go. And all you have to do is simply upload the model and it gets processed in the cloud.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

alterego

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:21 am »
Thank you for your reply.

Its a shame there doesn't seem to be anything. I will look into the online viewer, and will post back if I find anything else.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:57:31 am »
You can use Revit.
If you do not have a license you can still use it, but you can not save any of your updates until it is registered.

alterego

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:23:34 am »
Thank you for your reply Jeff

That sounds a bit more promising...  A follow up question regarding this method is how would you stop other users accidentally saving a model (for example to a newer version?)

On a fast paced job I think it might be difficult for the modellers to keep writing navis files for the in-house senior engineers to keep checking... or is there a better workflow?

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:45 pm »
Note: A full version of Naisworks will allow you to create a project file and will read a "Navisworks" view in your model to populate the project. A free version of Navisworks (called: Freedom), you have to export a DWF for the mgrs to view (adopting the problems in workflow you are asking about).
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:46 pm »
revit is free 30 days then goes into viewer mode... cannot save or print or export so it becomes a viewer..

alterego

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:36 am »
Note: A full version of Naisworks will allow you to create a project file and will read a "Navisworks" view in your model to populate the project. A free version of Navisworks (called: Freedom), you have to export a DWF for the mgrs to view (adopting the problems in workflow you are asking about).
But the modellers would still need to keep updating the navis model each time the senior engineers wanted to check something I assume?  I suppose I was hoping that each time the model is synchronised one of the seniors could view the latest model on his machine (during the time critical parts of the project) and feed back to the modellers right away.

Thank you for your input.

alterego

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 03:06:29 am »
revit is free 30 days then goes into viewer mode... cannot save or print or export so it becomes a viewer..
Thank you for your input.

Forgive my ignorance with licencing methodology, but will this still work on a network licence? 

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 03:39:39 am »
Watch out what BricsCAD / ODA are cooking .. 
My personal thought is that opendata (IFC) is the future for bim.

BricsCAD can be used or IFC 2 DWG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHy54wzraYA&list=PLONdQc9bizsfOyWJgbbNXfJU72IgqcLxo&index=20

ODA
http://architosh.com/2016/09/oda-accelerates-bim-interoperability-with-native-revit-file-support/
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..