Author Topic: Trying out Carlson for Survey  (Read 2744 times)

therock003

Trying out Carlson for Survey
« on: January 03, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
I'm looking into a reliable Survye Module and i have been evaluating Carlson these past couple of days. I do have some questions though.

-First off why are the points not dynamic and you need to write back and forth into an external crd file? Like you move a point, you have to update the crd. You add somethign to the crd, you have to redraw the points. In civil3d these things happen automatically. Like you move a point the databse is instanly notified and rewritten.

-When i need to define a polyline to setup a deed, how can i name it with Characters instead of numbers? Lets say i draw a 5 sided closed polyline and i update the CRD based on that entity. Instead of it being called 1-2-3-4-5-1 i want it to be called A-B-C-D-E-A.

-Can you use database fields inside the dialogs? I like to include the square meters of an area on the center of my polyline. Theres an option to label a polyline in Carlson but inside the options for that command you can set the label of what it will say. Instead of plain text, i want it to display the area, and be dynamic as well. So if i move/edit vertices it will refreash and display the new area

-When i draw the points table, i have trouble arranging the size of the table. I have the standards of what my table is supposed to look like, but how do i apply inside the dialog, still cant figure it out.

-I also find text sizes appear small. I set metric on project settings with horiznal scale of "200" but text are almost half of what they should appear. Is there any good documentation of how to handle that?

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
Re: Trying out Carlson for Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
Re: your first Q = You don't have to IIRC. There is an option to link them.

Everything else? Call (or email) them. They offer free support even for trial customers. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to answer all of your Q.
1-800-989-5028

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
The main thing is that you have not yet discovered where everything is hidden or needs to be setup. On the line table and line annotation, look under Annotate, rhwn down to line table then into the setup.
I would HIGHLY recommend that you go to Jennifer DiBona's web site thatcadgirl.com and get her training manual on Cionfiguration and points. Once you have that down pat, get the manual on Field to Finish. Best money that you will ever spend.
Another good source is Cadapult.com. Rick Ellis has a good tutorial manual that touv=ches on the highlights of most things.
I am currently doing Carlson Training on the Survey module. If you have any problems, PM me through this site and I will send ny email address and see what I can do for you.
Attached is a file that may help you somewhat. Odds and ends that I have found useful.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:19:58 AM »
Don't forget to check out all the training videos on YouTube. Search Carlson Survey Software. Many of your questions will be answered there.