Author Topic: Duct System Blending  (Read 164 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Duct System Blending
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 04:50:15 pm »
And, what kind of insult is "less than a grain of salt" anyways!?

Think about it. If someone that you respected said to you that you are less than a grain of salt, how would you feel? I'd feel pretty insignificant.
Senior Mechanical Designer/Model Manager
Building Systems

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 05:41:40 pm »
system .graphic overrides can be overridden with filters..

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 05:44:11 pm »
I like me those filters.
Building Systems

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 07:27:13 am »
I came across this nice little graphic yesterday showing the element visibility override hierarchy.

https://twitter.com/RobCross247/status/818764726066880513
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:01:20 am »
Wait a minute! ...I could have sworn that system's graphic overrides had more preference then view filters. I'm off to run a quick test (should be easy enough to test). I guess you can. But the question of "why" still remains.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:52 am »
Wait a minute! ...I could have sworn that system's graphic overrides had more preference then view filters. I'm off to run a quick test (should be easy enough to test). I guess you can. But the question of "why" still remains.
I do not use graphic overrides.. but many people do.. and it messes my models up so i have .filters to override it so it's all black lines when i use their files as links, etc.. this helps flow for me

plumbing single line makes a lot of sence for filters.. because of single line.. so you can see the systems, then apply filters to sheet views to make all black.. only time i see them as useful.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 04:36:08 pm »
Funny coincidence happened today. Our BIM Coordinator came up to me today and asked me if I was using overrides for my system colors and mentioned plotting. I easily convinced him to go with black lines, for now. Just because, at this point, it needs no additional set-up and resembles their AutoCAD plots as a result of very little leg work on my part. I transferred their lineweights to Revit and, subsequently, object styles not long after I started. The conversation quickly turned to color plots and I think we may start heading in that direction rather than put much time into black lines and or gray scale.

I do have a question for you guys. Do you have a color version of your annotation views as well as the black and white ones for plotting?
Building Systems

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:22 am »
I turned off Graphic Overrides along time ago. I use a simple tiered system of view templates which I can use to turn colors off/on or to different colors. Having the default be black makes it easier to not screw up and not such a pain for others who link in my model, in my opinion. So, my answer is: I can turn colors off/on in any view I want to.

My setup:
I have a "Working view" with colors and a "Plotting view" with no colors.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:28:13 am by John Kaul (Se7en) »

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 08:38:16 am »
I do not use graphic overrides.. but many people do.. and it messes my models up so i have .filters to override it so it's all black lines when i use their files as links, etc.. this helps flow for me

plumbing single line makes a lot of sence for filters.. because of single line.. so you can see the systems, then apply filters to sheet views to make all black.. only time i see them as useful.

Neither do I. Naughty little things aren't they.

Really, you think a lot of people still use graphic overrides? Yuck, that must make for interesting coordination. Aside: I wonder if you convert to IFC then back into Revit if those colors would go away. ...When I get on "one-of-those" projects, I often contemplate using IFC as a scrubber of sorts but I've never gotten around to testing the validity of it (does everything make the trip, would it be easier/better, etc.).

Yes, me too.