Author Topic: Mechanical Pipe System Colors  (Read 362 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Mechanical Pipe System Colors
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:17:13 am »
Need to establish some standards and am wondering if there are any industry standards or guidelines for assigning piping system colors. Will need plumbing systems, too, eventually.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Rob...

• King Gator
Re: Mechanical Pipe System Colors
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:13:56 am »
Matt, I came across that color coding while I was searching. It is not what I'm looking for. That will be nice for renderings later on but what I need is something for modeling purposes to serve as a visual cue. I could come up with a scheme but with so many possible systems, I don't want to go through that process.

Someone suggested AIA layer coloring but I haven't taken a look at it yet.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 02:42:00 pm »
Yup, you're going to have a lot of systems and/or filters to display the different colors. It takes a lot of work to get the template set up but once it's in place.... everyone will do whatever the EFF they want so all of your hard work will all be for naught.

Nahhhh... that NEVER happens.  :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
*meh* it's not as bad as you think it will be to create the different systems; start with what you use most and add to it as you need them. I started with a post-it note (read: 3) with the system name and room for the color I wanted for each. Posted it on my cube wall and just added to the stack when needed. In other words, don't stress about getting your "system" 100% correct the first time around, just accept the fact that you will be taking some lumps the first project or two (determine what you need for this project and start there).
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 07:56:35 am »
I have no problem creating all the systems. It's picking the colors that will drive me crazy. I'll constantly be second guessing myself and wanting to refine the color scheme so that it "makes more sense". I was hoping to have some sort of guide to help me bypass my OCD.
CAD Tech

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:56 am »
I have no problem creating all the systems. It's picking the colors that will drive me crazy. I'll constantly be second guessing myself and wanting to refine the color scheme so that it "makes more sense". I was hoping to have some sort of guide to help me bypass my OCD.
if you are OCD then you will be fine.. it will help you refine your colors until they are perfect.. run with it you will be fine...

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 08:44:17 am »
I'll send you my colors if it helps. lol
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 06:31:46 am »
There is a british standard for pipe identification colours, https://www.graphicproducts.com/articles/bs-1710-british-standard-pipe-marking/

Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:28:51 am »
I am aware of those but it's not really what I'm looking for. I suppose it's not a bad starting point but I have to deal with way more systems than are included in those standards.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:43:44 pm by Rob... »
CAD Tech

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:04:45 am »
we have an in-house system

BCWS - Dark Blue
MWS - Green
DHWS - red
DHWR - Magenta

LTHW CT F - Red
LTHW CT R - Magenta
LTHW VT F - Purple
LTHW VT R - Brown

Gas - Olive

Above Ground Drainage Pipework - Brown
Condensate Drainage - Light Brown

Chilled water pipework - Light Blue.

We typically only colour the pipework for the service we are working on, so if its water services on the WIP layout the MWS, BCWS and HWS F&R would be coloured, all other services ae shown in a very light blue with the transparency set to 25%, this allow us to work on a service, but retain the visibility of other services for clash avoidance purposes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:08:44 am by hudster »
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:08:03 am »
here is a screen shot of our water services WIP with the other services in light blue