Author Topic: Are drawings still diagrammatic?  (Read 139 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Are drawings still diagrammatic?
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:28:41 pm »
A few years ago, while QA'ing a set of plans, that argument held water. Does it still today? Should it? To what level (what aspects still are)? How have you changed your plans to better depict things (show screenshots if you can)?
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Are drawings still diagrammatic?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:30:00 pm »
Good question!

That's not so cut and dry anymore depending on what platform you are using to generate the drawings. The weight is shifting from the drawings to the model. I just spent the last few days setting up views for sheets and the sheets for a meeting today, when I could have been doing modelling and actually made some significant progress to show the client. The sheets meant nothing. The client thought we were behind for "25% DD" (whatever that means), but I digress.

The standard (in my world) 1/8"=1'-0" set of plans is still diagrammatic but the detailing has gotten much more project specific as opposed to standard details.

Instead of saying to the contractor, "Put all this here. It fits. You figure it out." We, at the design level, are putting in all those pieces in a coordinated fashion and showing them an actual model of what it can look like when it's done, in addition to the sheets. The line between designer and contractor is definitely getting more blurrier as expected. There will come a time when our design model can actually be used for fabrication.
Senior Mechanical Designer/Model Manager
Building Systems

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44:35 am »
This topic is so-damn-frustrating in my new office it's going to drive me to drinking.

I just got done having a "conversation" about standard elbows in Revit and how they are a "problem".

Me: "Yes, they *are* a problem because if you spend all that time laying out a building just to have the contractor tell you none of it fits, I'd consider that a problem, wouldn't you?"
Them: "No, I'd consider that their problem."
*face-palm*

...some people take zero pride in their work!

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:55 pm »
This topic is so-damn-frustrating in my new office it's going to drive me to drinking.

I just got done having a "conversation" about standard elbows in Revit and how they are a "problem".

Me: "Yes, they *are* a problem because if you spend all that time laying out a building just to have the contractor tell you none of it fits, I'd consider that a problem, wouldn't you?"
Them: "No, I'd consider that their problem."
*face-palm*

...some people take zero pride in their work!
But... but.... they're still supposed to do coordination drawings, right? Why make things easier for others? Oh, wait... we're not playing THAT game.

On another note... any word on the re-seller situation or that other thing? *wink* *wink*
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:09:46 pm »

On another note... any word on the re-seller situation or that other thing? *wink* *wink*

Nope. Not a word. :/ That's alright though.