Author Topic: Fixing Clashes  (Read 205 times)

hudster

• Gator
Fixing Clashes
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:12:00 am »
What's everyone's workflow for fixing clashes?

Currently, I run the model through our rules in Navisworks, starting at 100mm clashes and work down to 25mm, (Anything below 25mm we deem to be within building tolerances so don't bother with these).
I then generate reports for each rule and head back to Revit.
In Revit I enter each item ID and attempt to find it in the relevant floor plan, dear god why isn't there a zoom to object command in Revit. Seriously it takes longer to find the offending elements sometimes than it does to fix the clash.

Once I finally find the elements, I create a 3D view of them and adjust heights to avoid the clash or reroute depending on which is appropriate.

Is there a better way, because I have over 1500 of these to work through and after 35 I'm ready to murder someone.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
Re: Fixing Clashes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:56 am »
I fixed them after the derby unless they look cool.  8-)
I learned my lessons ... SLOWLY ~ Unknown

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:31:38 am »
why isn't there a zoom to object command in Revit.
go in 3D view.. have all things turned on... use Select by ID and copy/paste in ID click Select.. then click any isometric corner of the cube and it will zoom in..

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:50 am »
Fortunately I never had to do a lot of clashing but on the last project I did something different. I went through with Revit interference checks every so often and handled them that way (instead of waiting).

I drew for a while and then started the checks. It was a hard battle (when I finally got around to starting interference checks; I had ~30 or so duct/pipe, pipe/struct, etc each) but once I got them down in the single digits it was very much easy to deal with. I'd run a check every day and squash the bugs as they arose. Note: Revit interference check sucks!! You don't get a useful report or picture but the "show" (along with the highlighting) button is somewhat useful-ish. And you don't get the fine grained control like in Navis (it's all or nothing; clash or not).

I know that doesn't help your current situation, nor is it even all that useful to begin with, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:38:13 am »
go in 3D view.. have all things turned on... use Select by ID and copy/paste in ID click Select.. then click any isometric corner of the cube and it will zoom in..

Nice!
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:53:43 am »

I do this, but sometimes you need a plan view and there is no easy way to find your item, it's a major bugbear of mine
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:25:51 pm »
What's everyone's workflow for fixing clashes?

Currently, I run the model through our rules in Navisworks, starting at 100mm clashes and work down to 25mm, (Anything below 25mm we deem to be within building tolerances so don't bother with these).
I then generate reports for each rule and head back to Revit.
In Revit I enter each item ID and attempt to find it in the relevant floor plan, dear god why isn't there a zoom to object command in Revit. Seriously it takes longer to find the offending elements sometimes than it does to fix the clash.

Once I finally find the elements, I create a 3D view of them and adjust heights to avoid the clash or reroute depending on which is appropriate.

Is there a better way, because I have over 1500 of these to work through and after 35 I'm ready to murder someone.
sometimes ID's can be daunting.. sometimes i use section tools in navisworks to section only one floor at a time.. then i click Top on cube, make sure my navigation is set to the Pointer (not Walk) and right-click cube to go to orthographic perspective.. then show clashes and check "show all clashes" box. this way you can get overall scope of view.. go back to Revit and find the same areas.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 04:17:13 pm »
What little clash detection I've done has been similar to what John does. With 1500 of them, I'd break them up into manageable groups. You will find that fixing one fixes multiple others, not always, but it's nice when it happens. Also, try to keep in mind that if you've got typical or similar areas, when you have a clash in one, it might repeat in those similar areas. Helps to speed things up later on.
Senior Mechanical Designer/Model Manager
Building Systems